Camp out at North Road this summer
Rugby-mad youngsters will have no excuse to be bored over the summer holidays. Stevenage Town are holding two weekly summer camps at Marriotts Sports College. They are aimed at improving the skills, fitness and understanding of the game for six to 16-year
Rugby-mad youngsters will have no excuse to be bored over the summer holidays.
Stevenage Town are holding two weekly summer camps at Marriotts Sports College.
They are aimed at improving the skills, fitness and understanding of the game for six to 16-year-olds who will be split into various age groups.
Youngsters can either attend daily (£15), for a week-long camp (£45) or even for both weeks (£90)!
Packed into seven hours each day (9am-4pm) will be coaching such as handling, rucking and mauling, tips on health and fitness, nutrition, video analysis, positional skills and even refereeing.
The camps are from August 6-10 and August 13-17 and will be run by fully qualified coaches with several Stevenage first team players also in attendance.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 9 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
- 10 Hitchin Beer & Cider Festival set to make triumphant return
They will be led by Stevenage Town's youth development officer Gareth Lewis who will be supported by physio Chris Tilbrook and young sports leaders from local schools.
The 22-year-old Lewis (left), who also plays for the club's first XV and the Herts county side, has been a qualified coach since he was 17.
He took over the full-time post in November and is loving every minute.
Part of his remit is to spread the word of rugby around local primary and secondary schools.
"The kids are really picking up rugby locally," said Lewis.
"We're looking to grow the game in Stevenage even more. There are some very keen youngsters around.
"I will be looking to visit as many schools as I can from September."
More than 200 youngsters already regularly train and play at Stevenage's North Road base.
Speaking about the summer camps, Lewis added: "We're looking to attract up to 100 kids as well as some local sponsorship.
"It's at a very competitive price and it's not just rugby. It will be fun and the kids will be learning a variety of things.
"The idea is to teach them values and respect for others as well as improving their rugby skills."
If you are interested in attending or sponsoring the summer camps, call Gareth Lewis on 07949 198341 or email email@example.com