Busy on Preston front
PRESTON Cricket Club celebrate a special landmark this summer. This season will be the 125th in the club s history and will be marked by events throughout the next few months. They will include a dance, six-a-side competition and other cricket celebration
PRESTON Cricket Club celebrate a special landmark this summer.
This season will be the 125th in the club's history and will be marked by events throughout the next few months.
They will include a dance, six-a-side competition and other cricket celebrations over the August bank holiday weekend.
Ambitious Preston continue to improve their facilities and this year will also see the club's net facilities replaced with the latest ECB all-weather surface.
You may also want to watch:
Other improvements planned are the acquisition of covers and the replacement of sightscreens with grants already obtained from the North Herts District Council.
On the playing front, the club will field teams in Divisions Two and Six of the Saracens Herts League plus a third team in Division 14 which will play its home games at Hitchin Boys' School.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
This should enable many of the successful colts from last season to graduate into senior cricket.
Sunday fixtures will see both sides play a mixture of friendly/knockout cup and Chess Valley League fixtures.
The club is continuing its colts coaching that takes place at the ground on Saturday mornings and involves midweek matches. This will again be led by Nigel Biggs (01462 458289).
This season will also mark the 24th consecutive year of the club tour - the team will be going to Gloucestershire in late July.
Preston remain viable thanks to off-field support particularly from its main sponsor, the Red Lion, Preston Parish Council and many other businesses and individuals.
This ensures funding to maintain what is regarded as one of the best grounds in the area.
If anyone is interested in joining the club, at whatever standard, call Mark Waters on 01462 631322 or Tony Smith on 01462 454328.