Brackley blazes a trail
Martin Brackley from Riverain Bowls Club was a triple winner at the county finals at Harpenden. Brackley was in three finals over the weekend and his teams won all of them. In the mixed fours, Riverain - Jenny Ralph, Noreen Gazely, Bob Ashby and skip Brac
Martin Brackley from Riverain Bowls Club was a triple winner at the county finals at Harpenden.
Brackley was in three finals over the weekend and his teams won all of them.
In the mixed fours, Riverain - Jenny Ralph, Noreen Gazely, Bob Ashby and skip Brackley - won 20-15 against a team from Watford skipped by Paul Murray.
And in the mixed pairs, Ralph and skip Brackley beat fellow Riverain pair Linda and skip Mick O'flanagan 23-13.
Tony Webb became county men's singles champion by beating Greg Parker from Herts Watford 21-14.
And Webb skipped the men's triples, which also included Mick Allen and Brackley, to victory over the triple from Watford skipped by Gary Edwards.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
Riverain tasted more success as the ladies' county finals held at the Hitchin club.
Muriel Saunders and skip Gill Calver in the ladies' pairs beat the Hatfield pairing of June Lonergan and skip Daphne Pratt 18-16.
But in the ladies' two wood triples, Anne Haywood, Saunders and skip Calver unfortunately lost to the Hatfield triple of Norah West, Lonergan and skip Pratt 13-23.
This follows Riverain's ladies winning the national Mason Trophy at Loddon Vale last Sunday.
In their morning match versus Durham, Riverain won by 16 shots (42-25).
The team of June Clay, Shay Mumford, Gill Walker and skip Shirley Page won 23-11, together with Muriel Saunders, Pat Goodwin, Gill Calver and skip Jenny Ralph, won 19-15.
And in the afternoon decider, Riverain defeated Avon Valley by 28 shots (52-24).
The team of June Clay, Shay Mumford, Gill Walker and skip Shirley Page won 25- 7, together with Muriel Saunders, Pat Goodwin, Gill Calver and skip Jenny Ralph, won 27-17.
Riverain were beaten by 25 shots (150-175) by Luton Bowls Club in a weekend friendly.
Skips names only: Ron Clark lost 12-31, Barbara Clark won 26-20, David Betts won 23-20, Brian Mills lost 18-27, Charlie Brown lost 17-19, Tom Power won 19-15, Sam Skinner lost 21-26, Dan Sheenan lost 14-17.
* There was a real change of fortune for Stevenage Leisure Centre IBCs second visit to Riverain.
They played Riverain on six rinks, losing on all six by 157 shots to 84.
The lowest 'losing' rink was that of Muriel Cooper, Pam Megan, Les Carr and skip Colvin Cooper!