Boys enjoy all the festive soccer fun
The Stevenage Mini Soccer League hosted the Grix Cup indoor five-a-side tournament over the festive period. Now in its 28th year, the Grix Cup was started by Geoffrey Grix in the late 1970s to offer football and a release of energy to his grandson Alan
The Stevenage Mini Soccer League hosted the Grix Cup indoor five-a-side tournament over the festive period.
Now in its 28th year, the Grix Cup was started by Geoffrey Grix in the late 1970s to offer football and a 'release of energy' to his grandson Alan and fellow players over the Christmas and New Year break.
The Grix Cup was for many years organised by Jack Taylor, manager of Woodlands Youth FC.
Alan Grix, who was nine years old in 1979 when the Grix Cup started, went on to play for the county.
You may also want to watch:
The Stevenage Mini Soccer League now hosts the tournament supported by Clive Grix, Alan's father.
The cup was played at under-seven and under-nine age groups as there were no under-eights age group in the 2007-08 season.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
At under-sevens, Gresley Way Juniors beat Bedwell Rangers 1-0 in a close final.
And in the under-nines group, Austen Arrowheads Reds won 2-1 in another close final against Letchworth Garden City Eagles.