Boxers in senior ABA championships
STEVENAGE ABC will be represented by two boxers in the senior ABA national quarter-finals tonight (Friday) in Sheffield. Flyweight Danny Culling, a former novice national champion, will take on the Army flyweight champion Adam Whitfield for a place in the
STEVENAGE ABC will be represented by two boxers in the senior ABA national quarter-finals tonight (Friday) in Sheffield.
Flyweight Danny Culling, a former novice national champion, will take on the Army flyweight champion Adam Whitfield for a place in the semi-finals to be held the same weekend in Sheffield.
Featherweight Bradley Evans will also be at the quarter-finals after another mammoth effort to overcome Brentwood's Joe Taylor junior in the zone finals at Harlow on Saturday. Evans also has an Army opponent in James Allen.
Eleven-year-old Sean Egan made a winning ring debut for the Stevenage club at a show in Sandy, defeating H Wall from the host club.
You may also want to watch:
Terry Holmes also won on the same show, defeating another Sandy boxer P Smith. Holmes, a former two-time Golden Gloves champion, was dominant throughout.
* Former club member Ashley Dennis, from the Jackmans Estate in Letchworth GC, has also fought his way through to the last eight in the country of the senior ABA championships.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 8 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 9 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
The light heavyweight (under-81kgs), who now boxes out of the Welwyn Garden City ABC, will be in action tonight (Friday) in Sheffield.
Dennis came through the semi-finals and the finals to lift the Home Counties crown. He then had to take on the Eastern Counties champion in the zone finals where he outpointed Chris Brown from Chatteris.
Dennis now takes his place in the quarter-finals against the Combined Services champion for a place in the semis which will be held the following day in Sheffield (Saturday).