Hitchin Town s North Herts League campaign took a setback with a big defeat at Letchworth Conservative Club last Thursday. After a solid start by Hitchin on both rinks, the home side took control and won both rinks (22-56) to take all six points. Rink one
Hitchin Town's North Herts League campaign took a setback with a big defeat at Letchworth Conservative Club last Thursday.
After a solid start by Hitchin on both rinks, the home side took control and won both rinks (22-56) to take all six points.
Rink one: G Williams, R Parker, M Squires, A Cook lost 10-29.
Rink two: J Porter, D Owens, W Harrison, S Dawson lost 12-27.
The next evening saw Hitchin lose against Datchworth in the first round of the Cairns Cup by 25 shots (52-77).
The two away triples performed well on a fast green, winning one and losing one with close scores.
- 1 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
- 2 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 3 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 7 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
- 8 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
The Hitchin home triples started well but then the visitors took the initiative and dominated the later stages.
Home rink one: J Porter, N Parke, A Cook lost 11-23.
Home rink two: M Squires, G Leuty, I Thorne lost 11-21.
Away rink two: G Williams, N MacLeod, L Lane won 14-13.
Away rink three: R Parker, N Webb, S Dawson lost 16-20.
Hitchin tied a home friendly match against Royston on Saturday (76-76).
They gained the upper hand on two rinks, only for Royston to cancel that lead on their only winning rink. The top rink for Hitchin was John Porter, Neil MacLeod, Alan Cook and Andy Hill.
Rink two: J Squires, N Webb, M Squires, I Thorne lost 7-24.
Rink three: J Porter, N MacLeod, A Cook, A Hill won 27-15.
Rink four: G Williams, M Wadsworth, W Harrison S Dawson won 22-17.
Rink five: R Parker, N Parke, R Cole, L Lane drew 20-20.
Hitchin's midweek side went down by 12 shots (60-72) to Stotfold last Thursday.
Rink one: Ruby Males, Steve Ingram, Geoff Munge won 20-18.
Rink two: Ann Marsden, G Billingham, Diane Porter lost 15-18.
Rink three: Win Ingram, B Marsden, K Porter lost 12-16.
Rink four: S Wheatley, Joan Squires, G Leuty lost 13-20.
Hitchin drew with Letchworth club Howard Garden (71-71) last Tuesday.
They won on three rinks out of the four and their highest winning rink was Bob Parker, Ken Porter and Ivan Page.
Rink one: N Parke, N MacLeod, John Dyer won 20-17.
Rink two: D Owens, S Ingram, W Harrison lost 11-24.
Rink three: R Parker, K Porter, I Page won 22-16.
Rink four: Ruby Males, Joan Dyer, Diane Porter won 18-14.