Hitchin Town entertained St Albans at Bancroft on a muggy Saturday afternoon. St Albans struggled to resist a good performance by the home side who won by 30 shots (76-46). The top rink for Hitchin was Mike Squires, Derek Conder and Andy Hill. Rink one: R
Hitchin Town entertained St Albans at Bancroft on a muggy Saturday afternoon.
St Albans struggled to resist a good performance by the home side who won by 30 shots (76-46).
The top rink for Hitchin was Mike Squires, Derek Conder and Andy Hill.
Rink one: R Parker, K Porter, I Page lost 11-12.
Rink two: M Squires, D Conder, A Hill won 24-11.
Rink three: B Marchant, N MacLeod, A Cook won 21-15.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
Rink four: G Williams, G Billingham, L Lane won 20-8.
Hitchin hosted a second round fixture of the Hertfordshire Top Ten competition against Bishop's Stortford on Sunday morning.
After a poor start, Hitchin rallied to take the singles and the fours, and only just lost the pairs and triples.
With two disciplines apiece, Hitchin took the honours with the greater shot tally (81-67) largely thanks to Les Lane's big win.
Rink three: G Williams, R Parker, N Parke, S Dawson won 23-17.
Rink four: L Lane won 21-8.
Rink five: D Downham, A Hill lost 18-21.
Rink six: S Wheatley, G Munge, A Cook lost 19-21.
The World Cup has even impacted on midweek bowls.
Hitchin and Baldock could both only raise enough players to field three rinks of triples for their match at Baldock last Thursday.
England's World Cup group game against Trinidad and Tobago proved a greater attraction for many players and Hitchin had to loan a player from Baldock to complete their team.
Hitchin lost overall by 39 shots (72-33).
Rink three: Hitchin (Ruby Males, S Ingram, Joan Dyer) lost 13-22 to Baldock (J Gluckstein, P Page, M Reid).
Rink four: Hitchin (Joan Squires, J Bearman, K Porter) lost 9-27 to Baldock (D Blowey, P Higho, I Walker).
Rink five: Hitchin (P Cavanagh, D Condor, Diane Porter) lost 11-23 to Baldock (A Tait, G Page, D Roberts).