Bowls season draws to a close
THE indoor bowls season is drawing to a close. The finals have taken place at Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC. Their men s final saw a close game running over 25 ends with Colin Cole emerging as the winner by a single shot to take him to the necessary 21 sho
THE indoor bowls season is drawing to a close.
The finals have taken place at Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC.
Their men's final saw a close game running over 25 ends with Colin Cole emerging as the winner by a single shot to take him to the necessary 21 shots. The ladies had a slightly shorter game with Angela Newstead the winner.
Cole made a long afternoon of it as he was also in the pairs competition with his wife Sue - and they managed to win!
The ladies versus gents match saw the men win!
Their presentation evening is at the CIU club in Stevenage Old Town next Friday (April 28).
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 4 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 7 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 8 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 9 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 10 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
Names are already being taken for next season and any bowlers who wish to join are welcome.
Riverain IBC held two gala days over the Easter weekend.
The first on Good Friday was the drawn rinks and involved 30 teams. Winners with eight points and shot difference of 12 was P Burton, J Lock, P Hyde and skip M Squires. Second place was G Beedel, P Christmas, S Hurst and skip P Barritt with six points and a shot difference of 21.
The Easter Monday game was an open pairs gala with 16 teams.
June and Brian Mills were the winners, while Roza and Bernie Drummond came second.
Stevenage Nomads beat Lawson Park by five shots (118-113) in the final game of the season.
Their top winning rink was Avril Straw, Joan Gosling, Paul Bennett and Jeff Smith.