Datchworth and Baldock lock horns as competitive bowls returns
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Datchworth and Baldock are just two of the bowls club delighted at the return of the competitive side of their sport.
The clubs met at Baldock's green for a friendly with the hosts running out 84-45 winners.
All four triples went the way of Baldock, the biggest being a 31-8 success for P.Page, Dave Davies and Malcolm Ingram against Chris Hills, I.Williams and club skipper Stephen Arnold.
That rink was tight for five ends, with just one shot in it, before Baldock pulled clear.
Datchworth were on course for one rink success with Peter Hills' triple leading 17-11 with four ends to play. However, they lost all four to go down 19-17 to Steve Budge's team.
Datchworth had opened their season with the traditional, albeit curtailed slightly, president v captain contest.
Only 24 players were allowed on the green at any one time but there was still delight at playing once more, the result eventually going the way of the skipper as his team won by 65 shots to 42.
- 1 Stevenage man sentenced for racist assault and criminal damage
- 2 Matalan store confirms closure date ahead of demolition to make way for flats
- 3 Trial date set for pair charged with detaining two people against their will
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Dog bitten in two places at attack in playing fields
- 6 May 17: Newly refurbed Hollywood Bowl to reopen on Monday
- 7 What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, May 17?
- 8 Road closed as emergency services attend crash in Stevenage
- 9 Community rallies to help couple left out of pocket after pension money goes missing
- 10 Man dies after falling ill in town centre