Bowls round-up: Datchworth get league success while Baldock enjoy themselves in national events
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Datchworth had a struggle in a county competition but there was success in the Stevenage & District Mixed Bowls League.
They exited the County Team Ten tournament in round two, losing in all four disciplines away to Berkhamsted.
However, the league victory came at their Turkey Farm home against Howard Garden.
They ran out 67-31 winners with Janet Akers, Rob Hazeu and Peter Hills the top rink, only losing on five ends in a 21-7 triumph.
Howard Garden also lost to Three Horseshoes in another SML match, although this one was closer at 40-38.
Baldock had a good week, advancing in the National Top Club competition with victory over Sawbridgeworth.
Their A team also beat Whitethorn in the National Two Fours, 32-21, and will now play their B squad in the next round.
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 5 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 6 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 7 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 8 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
In the county competitions, there were wins for the men's triples skippered by Matt Hayzelden, Rob Dempster and Dave Davies, the first two over Stevenage Town and Royston and the latter by walkover.
However, the pairs of Joe Moorley and Jamie Claydon as well as Darren Hickin and Paul Andrews lost in the quarter finals.