Hitchin Town was beaten at Rosedale in the third round of the Hertfordshire Top Ten competition. They lost by three disciplines to one on Friday evening. Hitchin got behind early on in the singles and triples, and rallied too late to get back on terms. Wh
Hitchin Town was beaten at Rosedale in the third round of the Hertfordshire Top Ten competition.
They lost by three disciplines to one on Friday evening.
Hitchin got behind early on in the singles and triples, and rallied too late to get back on terms.
While the pairs faltered in the final ends, the fours provided Hitchin's only success with a gritty two-shot win.
Rink two: J Porter, G Munge, A Cook lost 15-26. Rink three: A Hill, I Thorne lost 13-20. Rink four: G Williams, R Parker, M Wadsworth, S Dawson won 17-15. Rink five: L Lane lost 12-21.
Hitchin then won by 25 shots (76-51) in the friendly visit of Stevenage on Saturday.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
The top winning rink for Hitchin was a 22-shot win for John Bearman, Les Lane and Andy Hill.
Rink one: J Bearman, L Lane, A Hill won 29-7. Rink two: D Owens, I Page, W Harrison drew 18-18. Rink three: S Hearne, N Macleod, A Cook lost 11-13. Rink four: B Marchant, N Webb, S Dawson won 18-13.
Sunday afternoon saw Hitchin travel to Holwell for a friendly match which they won by six shots (76-70).
The top rink for Hitchin was Gerry Billingham, Mike Wadsworth and Diane Porter, winning by 15 shots.
Rink two: G Billingham, M Wadsworth, D Porter won 27-12. Rink three: G Williams, S Mumford, A Hill lost 19-20. Rink four: S Hearne, N Parke, L Lane won 23-12. Rink five: J Porter, K Porter, G Munge lost 7-26.
Hitchin's midweek bowlers had contrasting fortunes in two away games - both at Shephalbury Park, Stevenage.
They lost to Shephalbury last Tuesday but beat Three Horse Shoes at the same venue.
Hitchin won by 25 shots against Three Horse Shoes last Thursday having won on all four rinks.
Rink two: Terry Carter, J Bearman, G Leuty won 16-8. Rink three: Ruby Males, Charlie Brown, Ken Porter won 21-14. Rink four: J Moules, G Billingham, R Cole won 21-12. Rink five: Sid Wheatley, N MacLeod, I Page won 13-12.
* Hitchin has an open spoon drive starting at 10am this Sunday. Food will be available and the bar will be open for refreshments throughout the event. All are welcome.