Bowlers begin indoors
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin s IBC in Saffron Walden. North West Essex had just returned from a week s indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game ind
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin's IBC in Saffron Walden.
North West Essex had just returned from a week's indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game indoors.
The District were leading until the last end of the game when seven shots were dropped over the six rinks and North West Essex skip Vic Cole ran the jack back with the last wood of the match to pick up three shots and make the final score 133-131.
Each side had three winning rinks with the District's highest winners being Peter Willson (Whitethorn), Andy Hill (Hitchin Town), Barry Platten (Whitethorn) and skip David Wright (Datchworth) who beat the four skipped by Arthur Spackman 29-17.
You may also want to watch:
Other scores (skips only): P Turner 22, T Huke 25; L Parsley 22, T Shoebridge 25; T Ware 8, T Ward 28; T Fuller 27, R Barnes 19; D Eddington 23, V Cole 19.
* Riverain won by four shots (120-116) in their weekend friendly against East Herts Beds League.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 9 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 10 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
The highest winning rink was skipped by Brian Mills (33-13).
Skips only: Doug Major won 23-19, Anne Graves drew 15-15, Joan Papworth lost 18-21, Brian Mills won 33-13, Pat Clark lost 12-34, Derek Clark won 19-14.
* The Herts county IBA men beat their lady counterparts in a 'fun' game at Riverain on Saturday.
The men won by 86 shots (210-124) with county president Raymond Smith from the host club part of the top winning rink (29-11).