Bowlers begin indoors
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin s IBC in Saffron Walden. North West Essex had just returned from a week s indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game ind
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin's IBC in Saffron Walden.
North West Essex had just returned from a week's indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game indoors.
The District were leading until the last end of the game when seven shots were dropped over the six rinks and North West Essex skip Vic Cole ran the jack back with the last wood of the match to pick up three shots and make the final score 133-131.
Each side had three winning rinks with the District's highest winners being Peter Willson (Whitethorn), Andy Hill (Hitchin Town), Barry Platten (Whitethorn) and skip David Wright (Datchworth) who beat the four skipped by Arthur Spackman 29-17.
Other scores (skips only): P Turner 22, T Huke 25; L Parsley 22, T Shoebridge 25; T Ware 8, T Ward 28; T Fuller 27, R Barnes 19; D Eddington 23, V Cole 19.
* Riverain won by four shots (120-116) in their weekend friendly against East Herts Beds League.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
The highest winning rink was skipped by Brian Mills (33-13).
Skips only: Doug Major won 23-19, Anne Graves drew 15-15, Joan Papworth lost 18-21, Brian Mills won 33-13, Pat Clark lost 12-34, Derek Clark won 19-14.
* The Herts county IBA men beat their lady counterparts in a 'fun' game at Riverain on Saturday.
The men won by 86 shots (210-124) with county president Raymond Smith from the host club part of the top winning rink (29-11).