Bowlers begin indoors
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin s IBC in Saffron Walden. North West Essex had just returned from a week s indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game ind
Letchworth and District began their indoor bowls season with a close game against North West Essex at Turpin's IBC in Saffron Walden.
North West Essex had just returned from a week's indoor tour, while for many District players it was their first game indoors.
The District were leading until the last end of the game when seven shots were dropped over the six rinks and North West Essex skip Vic Cole ran the jack back with the last wood of the match to pick up three shots and make the final score 133-131.
Each side had three winning rinks with the District's highest winners being Peter Willson (Whitethorn), Andy Hill (Hitchin Town), Barry Platten (Whitethorn) and skip David Wright (Datchworth) who beat the four skipped by Arthur Spackman 29-17.
Other scores (skips only): P Turner 22, T Huke 25; L Parsley 22, T Shoebridge 25; T Ware 8, T Ward 28; T Fuller 27, R Barnes 19; D Eddington 23, V Cole 19.
* Riverain won by four shots (120-116) in their weekend friendly against East Herts Beds League.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 4 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 5 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 6 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
The highest winning rink was skipped by Brian Mills (33-13).
Skips only: Doug Major won 23-19, Anne Graves drew 15-15, Joan Papworth lost 18-21, Brian Mills won 33-13, Pat Clark lost 12-34, Derek Clark won 19-14.
* The Herts county IBA men beat their lady counterparts in a 'fun' game at Riverain on Saturday.
The men won by 86 shots (210-124) with county president Raymond Smith from the host club part of the top winning rink (29-11).