Blues fall to Swifts
Stourport Swifts 2 Arlesey Town 0 The Blues made the long trip to Stourport Swifts to fulfill the fixture that was a victim of the weather in early September. Matthew Clark and Lee Allen were not available due to work commitments for Tuesday night s 2-0 d
Stourport Swifts 2 Arlesey Town 0
The Blues made the long trip to Stourport Swifts to fulfill the fixture that was a victim of the weather in early September.
Matthew Clark and Lee Allen were not available due to work commitments for Tuesday night's 2-0 defeat.
Trailing by a single goal at the break, the second half got even worse for Arlesey as they failed to create one chance from open play.
Their failure to play through midfield gave the forwards little chance in chasing fruitless long balls against a well-drilled defence.
The visitors went behind in the 43rd minute when Gill got behind the defence to score from close range.
- 1 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
- 2 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 3 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 4 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 7 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 8 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 9 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 10 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
Moments earlier it was Arlesey who should have taken the lead when Matthew Kimani chose to shoot from a narrow angle when a pass to Leon Gutzmore would have been the better option.
Jamie Osborne saw his effort rebound off keeper Evans to safety in what was an even first half with little goalmouth action.
The second and decisive goal came in the 63rd minute when despite having two chances to clear, Darby was allowed to punt the ball into the net.
Blues: Peat, Beaumont, Brown, Moran, Dillnutt, Gutzmore, Beale, Case, Francis, Osborne, Kimani. Subs: Pringle, Miah.