Blues beaten on the coast
Arlesey Town were beaten 4-1 at Maldon after making the long trip to the Essex coast on Tuesday night. It was a Ryman League Division One North encounter originally scheduled for October and the Blues were seeking a double having won by the only goal at t
Arlesey Town were beaten 4-1 at Maldon after making the long trip to the Essex coast on Tuesday night.
It was a Ryman League Division One North encounter originally scheduled for October and the Blues were seeking a double having won by the only goal at the Raj Villa Stadium.
Arlesey kicked against the wind and rain for the first half and yet still took the lead in the 10th minute.
Michael McKenzie forced a throw on the right which was taken to Martin Williams whose cross was slotted home by the Arlesey striker.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors almost made it two when Craig Rydeheard took an inswinging corner for Dean McElroy to miss from close range with his header.
Shaun Griffith made a fine save to preserve the lead and then McKenzie linked with Ozie Foster who was stopped by a last-ditch tackle.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 10 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
Maldon came more into the game and Griffith produced a great one-handed save to deny Wareham.
McKenzie then found Rydeheard who shot wide of the target.
With five minutes to go before half time, a wind assisted free-kick from the left by Parrett eluded the Arlesey defence to find the net at the far post.
The conditions were getting decidedly poorer by the minute and as the players reached the warmth of the dressing rooms there was doubt that the contest would reach a conclusion.
Despite early chances in the second half for Foster that the home keeper saved with his legs and a Lee Tekell corner that James Gray headed wide, Arlesey were on the receiving end as they were penned in their own half.
Maldon took the lead in the 61st minute when Wareham headed home a left-wing cross.
Paul Bloss nearly tied the scores up when his cross bounced off the top of the bar to safety.
But the game went beyond the visitors when Wareham added his second in the 80th minute.
Perry scored the home side's fourth in the 89th minute with a header from a left-wing cross.
Blues: Griffith, Clarke, Bloss, Beevor, McElroy, Gray, Tekell, Williams, Foster, McKenzie, Rydeheard. Subs: Leon, Hay, Townsend, A Fehmi.