Blueharts scrape a draw
Blueharts scraped a draw at the weekend from fellow Herts team Bishop s Stortford. But for the discerning fan this East Hockey Premier League A game was no spectacle and was a stale low-paced match. Harts were disappointed with their performance and narro
Blueharts scraped a draw at the weekend from fellow Herts team Bishop's Stortford.
But for the discerning fan this East Hockey Premier League A game was no spectacle and was a stale low-paced match.
Harts were disappointed with their performance and narrowly avoided defeat. They were only saved by a controversial umpiring decision in the final minute of the game that would have seen Stortford grab their fifth win of the season.
Harts took an early lead through Adam Wells but failed to capitalise on an early lead and Stortford were 2-1 up at half time.
Paul Buckland shone through in the second half by scoring two marvellous drag flicks with precision accuracy and power that left the opposition keeper with little chance of making the save.
This meant that the game was tied and although Harts, like in previous weeks, created enough chances to secure the victory, a series of missed opportunities left the door open for Stortford.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 10 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
Stortford scored with the last hit of the game, only for it to be disallowed.
It is a double header this weekend as Harts travel to Bedford on Saturday and will pit their wits against 'Widge' Buckland's President's XI on Sunday.
Letchworth won 1-0 at Braintree thanks to a goal from Dave Gentry.
And their seconds were 2-1 winners over their Broxbourne counterparts with goals from Mark Buzza and Ashley Brown.
Other scores: St Albans V 0 Letchworth III 4 (Marc Bozdogan two, James Keel two); Letchworth IV 0 Blueharts IV 0; Letchworth V 2 (Ken Hall, Nick Pye) Southgate Adelaide 3; Southgate Adelaide IV 5 Letchworth VI 0.
Stevenage's Gary Brown scored a hat-trick as his side won 5-2 at West Herts thirds.
Other goals came from Danny Blackburn and Tom Bruck.
But the second team went down 1-0 to Rickmansworth.
Other scores: Stevenage III 3 (Khalid Mehmood, Scott Davies, Mitch Snares) Bishop's Stortford V 6; Stevenage IV 2 (Ian Brown, Simon Russell) West Herts V 3; Stevenage V 0 Harpenden V 3.