Blueharts scrape a draw
Blueharts scraped a draw at the weekend from fellow Herts team Bishop s Stortford. But for the discerning fan this East Hockey Premier League A game was no spectacle and was a stale low-paced match. Harts were disappointed with their performance and narro
Blueharts scraped a draw at the weekend from fellow Herts team Bishop's Stortford.
But for the discerning fan this East Hockey Premier League A game was no spectacle and was a stale low-paced match.
Harts were disappointed with their performance and narrowly avoided defeat. They were only saved by a controversial umpiring decision in the final minute of the game that would have seen Stortford grab their fifth win of the season.
Harts took an early lead through Adam Wells but failed to capitalise on an early lead and Stortford were 2-1 up at half time.
Paul Buckland shone through in the second half by scoring two marvellous drag flicks with precision accuracy and power that left the opposition keeper with little chance of making the save.
This meant that the game was tied and although Harts, like in previous weeks, created enough chances to secure the victory, a series of missed opportunities left the door open for Stortford.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 4 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 5 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 6 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 7 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 8 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
Stortford scored with the last hit of the game, only for it to be disallowed.
It is a double header this weekend as Harts travel to Bedford on Saturday and will pit their wits against 'Widge' Buckland's President's XI on Sunday.
Letchworth won 1-0 at Braintree thanks to a goal from Dave Gentry.
And their seconds were 2-1 winners over their Broxbourne counterparts with goals from Mark Buzza and Ashley Brown.
Other scores: St Albans V 0 Letchworth III 4 (Marc Bozdogan two, James Keel two); Letchworth IV 0 Blueharts IV 0; Letchworth V 2 (Ken Hall, Nick Pye) Southgate Adelaide 3; Southgate Adelaide IV 5 Letchworth VI 0.
Stevenage's Gary Brown scored a hat-trick as his side won 5-2 at West Herts thirds.
Other goals came from Danny Blackburn and Tom Bruck.
But the second team went down 1-0 to Rickmansworth.
Other scores: Stevenage III 3 (Khalid Mehmood, Scott Davies, Mitch Snares) Bishop's Stortford V 6; Stevenage IV 2 (Ian Brown, Simon Russell) West Herts V 3; Stevenage V 0 Harpenden V 3.