Promotion joy for Blueharts is followed by national cup excitement
- Credit: BLUEHARTS HOCKEY
The final week of the hockey season brought promotion glory for some of Blueharts' ladies.
Both the thirds and the fifths secured a place in the division above after clinching the required results.
Goals from Isla Campbell and Lily Moir gave the threes a 2-2 draw at Saffron Walden and after a tense wait, news filtered through that they had done enough to finish and second and promotion from Division Three South West.
Skipper Rachel Campbell said: "The team are such a positive bunch who have put in some brilliant performances. Loads of passion on the pitch, a fair few goals and an outcome we're all proud of."
The fifths meanwhile scored a late goal against Division Six South West champions Broxbourne to win 3-2 and ensure they finished in second behind them. Emily Bill got two of them with Scarlett Lait the other.
The seconds avoided relegation from Division Two South West with a 3-2 win over Shefford & Sandy, the goals coming from Carly Madders, Kate Sherwood, and Halcyon Turner while the firsts finished sixth in Division One South after a 2-1 loss to Crostyx, Jay Livermore on target.
The fourths lost 2-0 to Stevenage but the sixths beat their Stevenage counterparts 4-0 with goals from Emily Bill, Hannah Ross, and Gracie Deller putting them third in Division Seven South West.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
There was no change for any of the men's teams with the firsts finishing sixth in the East Premier Division despite a last-day 4-2 loss to Letchworth.
Blueharts' mixed team meanwhile advanced to the quarter-finals of the England Hockey T2 Cup after a dramatic shoot-out win at home to Marlow.
The two sides had drawn 1-1 after normal time, Blueharts taking the lead early through a penalty corner converted by Rich Julian following a Sam Rees pass.
Marlow levelled after the break though and stopped Ben Bayley from giving Blueharts the win with a penalty flick save.
He would have the last laugh though and after Rees, James Sandford and Ellie Cockburn had all scored, he converted the fourth which was followed by a solid save from Alex Ford.
That allowed Jay Livermore to make it 5-3 and start the celebrations.
Player of the Match went to Laura Graham.