Billy Joe Saunders set to play for Stevenage FC at Grimsby as part of Lamex title fight deal
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Boxer Billy Joe Saunders is set to play for Stevenage this weekend as part of the deal that will see him fight at the Lamex next month.
The talented puglist will face Germany’s Shefat Isufi at the Lamex Stadium, home of Stevenage Football Club, on May 18 for the WBO interim super middleweight world title.
And the Hatfield man is delighted to be able to showcase his skills in his home county.
He said: “I am very, very happy for the fight to be more or less taking place in my home town.”
As part of the deal the popular fighter will turn out for Boro in their match against Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Saturday.
It is understood his appearance is more to do with boosting a struggling Stevenage side – who lost to relegation haunted Notts County 3-0 at the Lamex on Saturday – rather than as a gimmick ahead of the fight.
Hometown hero Billy Joe says the demand for tickets is already high as excitement about his fight at Stevenage gathers pace.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 4 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 5 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
The Hatfield boxer says he and the rest of his family have already been approached for tickets for the bout with Isufi at the Lamex.
Spokesman for Saunders, Loof Lirpa told CometSport: “We can confirm Billy Joe will play for Stevenage at Grimsby on Saturday.
“While his appearance is part of the deal that will see him fight at the Lamex next month, we had planned for him to come on as a substitute in Boro’s final game of the season.
“However given their poor show on Saturday during their 3-0 defeat to Notts County we have brought the date forward as Stevenage need all the help they can get.
“See you in Grimsby.”
Follow sports reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29