Biggleswade Swimming Club Awards Night
The awards night for Biggleswade Swimming Club was their chance to mark a tremendous year. It was held on Friday at Edward Peake Middle School, Biggleswade. The club, which receives financial support from W Jordan s Cereals Limited, is going from strength
The awards night for Biggleswade Swimming Club was their chance to mark a tremendous year.
It was held on Friday at Edward Peake Middle School, Biggleswade.
The club, which receives financial support from W Jordan's Cereals Limited, is going from strength to strength.
Successes in 2006 included finishing second in the medal table at the Beds county championships and a substantial increase in the number of swimmers competing for Mid Beds at the East Region summer championships.
Five Biggleswade qualifiers - Harriet Brettle, Adam Ingledew, Alex Raine, Paul Titley and Kane Farrell - swam for the Mid Beds Swim Squad at the nationals.
Adam won gold in the 100m freestyle, almost breaking the British age group record in the process.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'
There were double the number of swimmers at the East Region long course championships compared to the previous year (18 to nine) and the highest amount of swimmers represented the county in 2006 (22).
County records were set by Harriet Brettle, Paul Titley and David Dowsett.
Swimmers powered their way to the East Midlands final of the Speedo League for the second year in a row and came fourth at the Saxon Pool finale - the club's highest ever finish.
Biggleswade are nationally ranked in the top 30 clubs in the UK based on the Speedo League results.
The eighth Biggleswade/Mid Beds open meet was also successful.
An expanding coaching team is also benefiting the club.
Adam Ingledew (junior under-16 boys), Danielle Lee (junior under-16 girls), Paul Titley (senior over-16 boys) and Hannah Raine (senior over-16 girls) were all honoured on the night.
Alex Raine and Elizabeth Dowsett (pictured above) were the joint winners of the most improved swimmer in the club award.
The clubperson of the year award went to Mark McConnell.
A parent, he has given lots of his time to the club, and took on the huge responsibility of the data processing for a number of events.