Biggleswade Swimming Club Awards Night
The awards night for Biggleswade Swimming Club was their chance to mark a tremendous year. It was held on Friday at Edward Peake Middle School, Biggleswade. The club, which receives financial support from W Jordan s Cereals Limited, is going from strength
The awards night for Biggleswade Swimming Club was their chance to mark a tremendous year.
It was held on Friday at Edward Peake Middle School, Biggleswade.
The club, which receives financial support from W Jordan's Cereals Limited, is going from strength to strength.
Successes in 2006 included finishing second in the medal table at the Beds county championships and a substantial increase in the number of swimmers competing for Mid Beds at the East Region summer championships.
You may also want to watch:
Five Biggleswade qualifiers - Harriet Brettle, Adam Ingledew, Alex Raine, Paul Titley and Kane Farrell - swam for the Mid Beds Swim Squad at the nationals.
Adam won gold in the 100m freestyle, almost breaking the British age group record in the process.
- 1 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 2 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 3 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 4 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 5 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 6 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 MP Nadine Dorries promoted in cabinet reshuffle
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
There were double the number of swimmers at the East Region long course championships compared to the previous year (18 to nine) and the highest amount of swimmers represented the county in 2006 (22).
County records were set by Harriet Brettle, Paul Titley and David Dowsett.
Swimmers powered their way to the East Midlands final of the Speedo League for the second year in a row and came fourth at the Saxon Pool finale - the club's highest ever finish.
Biggleswade are nationally ranked in the top 30 clubs in the UK based on the Speedo League results.
The eighth Biggleswade/Mid Beds open meet was also successful.
An expanding coaching team is also benefiting the club.
Adam Ingledew (junior under-16 boys), Danielle Lee (junior under-16 girls), Paul Titley (senior over-16 boys) and Hannah Raine (senior over-16 girls) were all honoured on the night.
Alex Raine and Elizabeth Dowsett (pictured above) were the joint winners of the most improved swimmer in the club award.
The clubperson of the year award went to Mark McConnell.
A parent, he has given lots of his time to the club, and took on the huge responsibility of the data processing for a number of events.