Bears visit Whitethorn Lane
Enjoy the last bit of 'summer' when the annual Letchworth Garden City pro-am cricket tournament takes place tomorrow (Friday) at Whitethorn Lane. Former Warwickshire captain Michael Powell brings seven county colleagues to take part in the seven-a-side kn
Enjoy the last bit of 'summer' when the annual Letchworth Garden City pro-am cricket tournament takes place tomorrow (Friday) at Whitethorn Lane.
Former Warwickshire captain Michael Powell brings seven county colleagues to take part in the seven-a-side knockout tournament which is played annually for The Comet Trophy.
His colleagues are expected to include one-day expert Neil Carter, England one-day star Jonathan Trott, James Anyon, Tony Frost, Jim Troughton and Ian Westwood.
Eight teams sponsored by local organisations will compete for the trophy. Games are six overs per innings, with every player bar the wicketkeeper bowling one over.
The sponsors this year are last year's winners Benchmark Fabrications Ltd, Letchworth GC Heritage Foundation, Herts Timber Supplies Ltd, Hawkins Russell Jones, Royal Bank Of Scotland, RJB Builders, Celebration Marquees and Old Edmundians.
The first game is scheduled for 10.15am with the final due to be played around 6pm.
- 1 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 4 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 9 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 10 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
Admission is £3 with £1.50 concessions and there is a barbecue and an auction of memorabilia during the day.