Bears visit Whitethorn Lane
Enjoy the last bit of 'summer' when the annual Letchworth Garden City pro-am cricket tournament takes place tomorrow (Friday) at Whitethorn Lane. Former Warwickshire captain Michael Powell brings seven county colleagues to take part in the seven-a-side kn
Enjoy the last bit of 'summer' when the annual Letchworth Garden City pro-am cricket tournament takes place tomorrow (Friday) at Whitethorn Lane.
Former Warwickshire captain Michael Powell brings seven county colleagues to take part in the seven-a-side knockout tournament which is played annually for The Comet Trophy.
His colleagues are expected to include one-day expert Neil Carter, England one-day star Jonathan Trott, James Anyon, Tony Frost, Jim Troughton and Ian Westwood.
Eight teams sponsored by local organisations will compete for the trophy. Games are six overs per innings, with every player bar the wicketkeeper bowling one over.
You may also want to watch:
The sponsors this year are last year's winners Benchmark Fabrications Ltd, Letchworth GC Heritage Foundation, Herts Timber Supplies Ltd, Hawkins Russell Jones, Royal Bank Of Scotland, RJB Builders, Celebration Marquees and Old Edmundians.
The first game is scheduled for 10.15am with the final due to be played around 6pm.
- 1 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 2 Seven things that are gone but not forgotten in Stevenage
- 3 No jab, no job COVID-19 policy rolled out at care homes
- 4 Huge maturity from Stevenage's on-loan Chelsea man Jamie Cumming as he deals with 'the life of a keeper'
- 5 Gardens and dinosaur trail reopening at weekends at Knebworth House
- 6 Green light for 40-bed homeless shelter in Letchworth
- 7 Rewind: A mysterious corner shop killing that shaped the future of British policing
- 8 New mass COVID-19 vaccine centre opens in Letchworth
- 9 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 10 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
Admission is £3 with £1.50 concessions and there is a barbecue and an auction of memorabilia during the day.