Barton hails Bedwell Rangers performance
FORMER Newcastle and England defender Warren Barton hailed the performance of Bedwell Rangers after the girls booked a dream day out at the English final of the Tesco Cup this weekend. The Home Counties League under-16 side, who were representing the Hert
FORMER Newcastle and England defender Warren Barton hailed the performance of Bedwell Rangers after the girls booked a dream day out at the English final of the Tesco Cup this weekend.
The Home Counties League under-16 side, who were representing the Herts FA at the Southern England regional final day in London, saw off the challenge of the Surrey representatives in the final.
Steve Jones' talented youngsters beat Watford Girls in the Home Counties Cup to qualify for Saturday's showpiece occasion and quickly impressed at the higher level scoring nine goals without reply in their two group matches to reach the final.
Bedwell now progress to the All English Finals at the Walkers Stadium, Leicester City, this Saturday where they will play the respective winners from the North, Western and Midland sections.
You may also want to watch:
The winners will then represent England against the Scottish and Wales champions at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 18 to determine the national champions.
With seven of the squad on the books at Watford, Barton believes some of the current crop have the talent to go a long way in the game.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
"The standard was very high and I think the best teams ended up in the final," said Barton.
"The plan is to see some of these players progress to the highest level.
"It would be great in a couple of years' time if someone who played here goes on to play at the top level just to prove what can be done.
"There are a lot of talented players here and I'm confident we won't be hearing the last of some of them."
There was further success for Bedwell with central midfielder Megan Wynne, who scored the winner in the final, hand picked by Barton for the prestigious player of the tournament award.
Barton added: "Megan was outstanding and drove her team forward all day. She was tough in the tackle and had a great eye for a pass."
Gary Dempsey, chairman of Bedwell Rangers, added: "The achievement of our under-16 girls is absolutely fantastic and manager Steve Jones has developed a brilliant team spirit.
"All of the families of every single girl should be proud of everything that they have done so far.
"They are worthy county champions and they will proudly represent the South of England as well as Stevenage and we hope that they can now go all the way in this nationally recognised competition."
The team is sponsored by Chris Walsh plumbing and more details can be found on the club's website www.bedwellrangersfc.co.uk or at www.tesco-u16-cup.com