Barry Sells himself with goals
It has been a perfect few days for Potton United s footballers. A Barry Sells hat-trick gave the Royals a convincing 3-0 win over local rivals St Neots on Tuesday night. Sells struck on 24, 42 and 65 minutes to ensure Potton picked up their first league w
It has been a perfect few days for Potton United's footballers.
A Barry Sells hat-trick gave the Royals a convincing 3-0 win over local rivals St Neots on Tuesday night.
Sells struck on 24, 42 and 65 minutes to ensure Potton picked up their first league win of the season.
Although St Neots had their fair share of posession, they failed to trouble Brad Gillham in the Potton goal.
The hosts were unlucky not to increase their lead when another Sells effort beat the keeper but was hooked off the line by a defender.
Potton also made progress in the FA Cup extra preliminary round on Saturday.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
Their day on the coast at Felixstowe and Walton United ended with a 1-0 victory to give them another away trip to Uxbridge in the next round.
The visitors took control in the first half and took a 20th minute lead when a Sells cross from the right was pushed across the goal by Nathan Buckland and Paul Garrett was on hand to stab the ball home at the far post.
Potton continued to dominate the half but were unable to increase the lead.
The home side came out the strongest in the second half but were unable to test goalkeeper Gillham despite having by far the most possession.
Biggleswade United went down 3-1 at Edgware Town in their opening SML Premier Division fixture at the weekend.
Robbie O'Dell gave them a great start by scoring in the fourth minute but this was as good as it got.