Barnard sisters shaping up for the new season
Teenage Great Britain triathlete Natalie Barnard opened her competitive season at the National Duathlon Championships in Edinburgh. The 19-year-old, who is now based at Loughborough, used the race as a preparation for the British Triathlon Championships i
Teenage Great Britain triathlete Natalie Barnard opened her competitive season at the National Duathlon Championships in Edinburgh.
The 19-year-old, who is now based at Loughborough, used the race as a preparation for the British Triathlon Championships in Llanelli.
Natalie (right) ran strongly in the first part of the race and a slick transition onto the bike saw her poised in third.
Her strongest phase of this race was to be the challenging cycle course, which featured punishing hill climbs and fast twisting downhill sections. But severe cramp set in at the halfway mark, causing her to dismount.
She got back on the bike and, while she was unable to capitalise on her strengths, Natalie fought back to record the fastest last run and consolidate third place overall.
Faye, her 16-year-old younger sister, was competing in Manchester in the finals of the National Biathlon Championships.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Schools in Stevenage and North Herts share successes
- 2 Man 'assaulted' and hit by chair in Baldock service station
- 3 Calling all gamers! New eSports centre coming to Stevenage
- 4 Leisure centre turns up the heat with new sauna and steam rooms
- 5 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 6 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 7 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 8 Four Vauxhall cars stolen in North Herts
- 9 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 10 'My mum was eligible for Covid-19 drugs - so why didn't she get them?'
She is a national standard swimmer who has only recently turned her priorities to follow her sister into the multi-disciplined sports of biathlon and triathlon.
Faye swam strongly to achieve third place in that section and went on to run confidently to retain a top 10 national finish.
She was rewarded with a team gold for the emerging Hatfield Swimming Club biathlon team.
Faye joins her sister in Llanelli for her first major triathlon.