Baldock Can cut the mustard
Baldock got off to a great start in Saracens Herts League Division Five with a convincing win over Northchurch seconds. On winning the toss, skipper Rob Cant decided to bowl. Northchurch crept along at two an over in a tame affair and had reached 120-4 af
Baldock got off to a great start in Saracens Herts League Division Five with a convincing win over Northchurch seconds.
On winning the toss, skipper Rob Cant decided to bowl.
Northchurch crept along at two an over in a tame affair and had reached 120-4 after 50 overs with Alistair Jones taking 2-30 off 19 overs and Tim Dean 1-33 in 13 overs.
Logan Newman then returned to whip out two late wickets and leave the hosts on a well below par 128-6 off 53 overs.
Baldock set about the target with purpose with James Peacock and Cant scoring with ease against the young Northchurch attack.
The pair put on 100 for the first wicket when Cant was bowled for a patient 26. Peacock soon followed for a fine 72 and it was left to new player Andy French to smash 29no in rapid fashion to take Baldock to an eight-wicket win.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 4 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 5 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 6 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 7 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 8 Spaceship 'landing' at school grabs Prime Minister's attention
- 9 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 10 Year-long car park closure as construction for new multi-storey set to begin
The seconds had a narrow and exciting two-wicket win against Langleybury thirds.
Baldock managed to bowl the visitors out for a lowly 74.
They were 25-0 at tea but on returning became 30-5 in a dismal collapse. A late rally from the lower order saw them to a hard-earned win.
Baldock's Sunday side got off to a good start by beating Ickleford by 65 runs in The Broadview Windows North Herts League.
Robert Peacock and Rob Cant added 130 in 25 overs for the second wicket.
Peacock struck some lovely shots before being dismissed on 64 and Cant saw the team to a competitive total of 187-4 with his solid 62no.
Joe Lockyer with 2-11 in seven overs was the pick of the bowlers.
After losing early wickets, James Dermont (25) and Scott Crouch (37) struck the ball well but Ickleford were bowled out for 122 with five balls to go.
Baldock were just back from an enjoyable tour of Gibraltar.
They took on the Gibraltan XI over four games, winning one and losing three.
The opposition were a strong side who compete at the lower level of the ICC tournaments.
Baldock, despite lacking key players, did well in alien conditions and would recommend any team to tour there.
The club have a third XI in the Saracens Herts League this year and are always looking for new players of any age. Call Alistair Jones on 01462 453453.