Baldock aim to educate local youngsters
BALDOCK are just one of the local clubs to see a boom in youth cricket this season. The Saracens Herts League Division Five side have started an under-13 side which is playing in the Herts Youth League. The club plays at Avenue Park in the town along with
BALDOCK are just one of the local clubs to see a boom in youth cricket this season.
The Saracens Herts League Division Five side have started an under-13 side which is playing in the Herts Youth League.
The club plays at Avenue Park in the town along with the thriving bowls and netball clubs.
The netballers are also forming the basis of a new ladies' team at the club.
They are being trained and coached in 2006 with the aim of playing matches next season.
Coaching sessions for juniors are taking place on Saturday mornings. Club nets for everyone, including juniors and the ladies, are on Tuesday nights at Ickleford.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
Baldock's youth co-ordinator Giles Naylor said: "We're trying to achieve Focus status and then the funding follows."
Baldock have also linked up with Knights Templar secondary school and the three primary schools in the town.
Even though Baldock are not one of the 38 Focus clubs already in Hertfordshire, this is only the fourth formal link established in the county.
Naylor continued: "We want to resolve some of the issues within the local community.
"There's definitely a problem with vandalism at Avenue Park.
"The best way is to give the kids something to do with their time instead."
If you are interested in getting involved, please call Giles Naylor on 07939 224565.
- The under-13s have lost narrowly to Preston and Cheshunt so far this season.
Preston scored 122-6 off their 20 overs with Jack Flint and Michael Darlowe taking two wickets each before Baldock replied with 66 all out.
Baldock only lost to Cheshunt by eight runs. Cheshunt got 87 all out with Darlowe again bowling well. Extras were the top scorer for Cheshunt and this came back to haunt Baldock as they were 78-4 in reply.
Luke Mongston - the catalyst for the formation of the side - Max Parkhouse and Michael Horscroft all played their part but it was the captain Jack Mead who top scored with 31 (retired).
They were due to play Pirton last night (Wednesday).