Badminton babes display their skills
Sixty under-12s were at the Knights Templar Sports Centre in Baldock to compete in the North Herts Badminton Tournament. More than 200 singles and doubles games were played with the ultimate prize of being in the North Herts squad against the other nine a
Sixty under-12s were at the Knights Templar Sports Centre in Baldock to compete in the North Herts Badminton Tournament.
More than 200 singles and doubles games were played with the ultimate prize of being in the North Herts squad against the other nine areas for the Herts Youth Games in May.
In the boys' singles, all eight group winners were undefeated but in the quarter-finals some found tough opposition.
Matthew Hayzelden beat Jake England 11-0 and James Abrams beat George Underwood 11-2. The other winners were the Farrugia brothers, Daniel and Christian.
You may also want to watch:
In the semis, Daniel beat James but Christian was beaten by Matthew.
And in the final, Matthew found the older brother too much to handle, Daniel winning 11-6.
- 1 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 2 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 7 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 8 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 9 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 10 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
The girls' singles saw Anna Collis only giving up eight points on the way to winning her group and Hannah McLaren being undefeated in the second group.
In the first semi, Katie Harbon pushed Hannah all the way, finally losing out 11-8.
And in the second match, Anna brushed Karishma Lal aside 11-0.
The final saw Hannah manage only one point against Anna.
With the boys' doubles consisting of four groups, the winners of all four did not lose a game.
The quarter-finals saw the four winners against the runners-up. The only upset was Leo Riddett and Ben Bowen beating Alastair Munn and George Underwood.
In the semis, they could not repeat the feat, losing out to Toby Harvey and Josh Woodhouse.
The other semi saw the Farrugia brothers against each other, Daniel playing with Matthew Hayzelden and Christian with James Abrams.
It was a really tight match which ended in an 11-10 win for Daniel and Matthew.
The final was not such a close affair, Daniel and Matthew easily beating Toby and Josh 11-4.
The girls' doubles was played in one large group and after they had all played each other there was an obvious winning pair - Anna and Hannah, who only lost a total of 11 points in their five games.
Runners-up deservedly were Jade Beckett and Ayla Spearman who only lost to the winners.