Astrid storms to victory
THREE Fairlands Valley Spartans tackled the testing Harrold 10k road race in Bedfordshire on Sunday with two of their competitors being over 65. In one of the first warm up races of the year Tony Osborne was 60th overall and second vet 65 plus in 48 minut
THREE Fairlands Valley Spartans tackled the testing Harrold 10k road race in Bedfordshire on Sunday with two of their competitors being over 65.
In one of the first warm up races of the year Tony Osborne was 60th overall and second vet 65 plus in 48 minutes.
Dennis Cannon was 110th in 54:7 and Ken Meenan 119th in 55:37.
Also competing at the same event was North Herts Road Runners.
Astrid McKeown was the most successful member being the first female to cross the finishing line over two minutes ahead of her nearest rival.
Astrid finished in a good time of 35:57.
- 1 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
- 2 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 3 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 7 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
- 8 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
Finishing seventh overall and one of the few runners ahead of her was her husband Steve who finished in third spot in a time of 35:51.
Also winning his category was Dave Frampton who came home in 11th place but had the distinction of being the first vet 50 runner home in 38:50.
Other finishers were Martyn Annetts (40:39), John Franklin (40:42), Melissa Winters (41:47), Mike Mello (43:030, Alan Jones (46:54) and Karen Franklin (63:03).
Over a shorter distance, Pete Sibbett also won his category when he was the first veteran to complete the Bushy Park 5k near Hampton Court.
Sibbett clocked 17:34 and was accompanied by club colleagues Jane Campbell (20:15) and Nicky Kemp (29:16).
Tri-athlete Kevin Holt took part in the Weymouth Half Ironman event and finished the three disciplines of a one mile swim, a 56-mile cycle ride and 13.1 mile run in 4:33.32.
Spartan Roger Biggs took part in the Isle of Wight Needles Cross Country Marathon on Sunday finishing in 5:13.38.
This coming Sunday sees many Spartans competing in the St Albans Half Marathon.