Another final for Potton
FOOTBALL round-up POTTON United reached their second cup final of the season this week. The UCL KO Cup finalists are also in the North Beds Charity Cup final after beating Cranfield United 3-0 on Tuesday night. A routine win at The Hollow was completed as
POTTON United reached their second cup final of the season this week.
The UCL KO Cup finalists are also in the North Beds Charity Cup final after beating Cranfield United 3-0 on Tuesday night.
A routine win at The Hollow was completed as Nathan Buckland broke the deadlock in the final minute of the first half.
A late Lee Allinson brace after 80 and 90 minutes sealed their passage.
Only a 90th minute penalty on Saturday stopped Potton being only the second side to beat Deeping Rangers in the league this season.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 5 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 9 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
The first half was evenly contested and Potton had a great chance to go in front when a home defender was adjudged to have pulled Steve Kuhne in the penalty area. Kuhne himself took the spot-kick which was saved by the keeper.
Playing against the wind in the second half, Potton found it hard to play the football they are used to and allowed Deeping to take control of the game.
Brad Harrison still gave the visitors the lead with a fine strike 12 minutes from time.
It looked as though Potton would walk away with all three points until a challenge from Luke Donnelly gave Deeping a lifeline and home captain Lee Ellison made no mistake from the spot.
Biggleswade Town were beaten 2-1 at Aylesbury Vale in the SML Premier Division on Tuesday night.
Town were thrashed 4-0 at home by Oxhey Jets on Saturday.
Biggleswade United were beaten 3-1 at home by in-form Tring Athletic on Saturday.
Taking an early lead courtesy of a defensive error was not enough to lift United as Tring dominated the game from start to finish.
Robbie O'Dell took his goal tally to sweet 16 in the sixth minute when a loose ball ricocheted off a defender and fell to him on the edge of the six-yard area.
The upright and crossbar then proved to be United's saviours as Tring pressed forward for an equaliser.
Tring equalised 10 minutes after the restart and then scored twice more in three minutes to take the points.