Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- Credit: JONATHAN BRADY/PA
Former Knebworth Football Club junior and Stevenage District Schools' Alex Kirk has signed his first professional contract with Arsenal.
The ex-Hitchin Boys' School pupil was one of a number of youngsters to sign a deal with the Gunners this week.
In a statement on the Arsenal website, the club said: "The 18-year-old centre back has progressed through the academy age groups and is a regular for our U18 side.
"Alex is known for his calm composure on the ball. He has featured regularly at the back for our U18s this season and made his debut for our U23s in October.
"He has also trained with our first team several times.
"We congratulate Alex on his first professional contract and look forward to supporting him with his continued development."
He joins another recent HBS scholar, Watford's Ben Willmott, in reaching the pro ranks.
- 1 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 2 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 3 Have you seen missing Hitchin woman?
- 4 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 5 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 6 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
- 7 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 8 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 9 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 10 Save the date! Popular Eat Alfresco dining experience will return
Arsenal already have Stevenage-born and former Marriotts School pupil Daniel Ballard on their books.