Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- Credit: JONATHAN BRADY/PA
Former Knebworth Football Club junior and Stevenage District Schools' Alex Kirk has signed his first professional contract with Arsenal.
The ex-Hitchin Boys' School pupil was one of a number of youngsters to sign a deal with the Gunners this week.
In a statement on the Arsenal website, the club said: "The 18-year-old centre back has progressed through the academy age groups and is a regular for our U18 side.
"Alex is known for his calm composure on the ball. He has featured regularly at the back for our U18s this season and made his debut for our U23s in October.
"He has also trained with our first team several times.
"We congratulate Alex on his first professional contract and look forward to supporting him with his continued development."
He joins another recent HBS scholar, Watford's Ben Willmott, in reaching the pro ranks.
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 4 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 5 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 8 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 9 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 10 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
Arsenal already have Stevenage-born and former Marriotts School pupil Daniel Ballard on their books.