60th anniversary year celebrated
Letchworth and District s 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday. The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after sev
Letchworth and District's 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday.
The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after seven ends had been played on the six rinks.
By the 14th end, the county had extended their lead to eight shots, leading 75-67, as both teams led on three rinks each.
The final third of the game saw a spirited comeback by the District with two of the previously losing rinks fighting back to draw.
You may also want to watch:
The final score was a 13-shot victory for Letchworth and District who won three rinks, drew two and just lost on one (119-106).
Two rinks tied for the biggest winning score, of 10 shots, with District secretary David Wright's rink beating the rink skipped by P Havord 24-14.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 5 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 6 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 7 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 8 Unbeaten run over but Alex Revell disappointed with manner of Salford defeat
- 9 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 10 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
However the top rink award went to Brian Leadley (Baldock), Alan Bratherton (Stevenage Town), Colin Males (Holwell) and skip Terry Ware (Whitethorn) who beat D Hendry 26-16, by virtue of them winning 14 ends to Wright's 13 ends.
Other results (skips only): P Turner 21, A Mosley 21; N Houghton 17, R McComb 17; M Parsons 21, J Parsley 16; T Fuller 10, D Fox 22.