60th anniversary year celebrated
Letchworth and District s 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday. The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after sev
Letchworth and District's 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday.
The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after seven ends had been played on the six rinks.
By the 14th end, the county had extended their lead to eight shots, leading 75-67, as both teams led on three rinks each.
The final third of the game saw a spirited comeback by the District with two of the previously losing rinks fighting back to draw.
You may also want to watch:
The final score was a 13-shot victory for Letchworth and District who won three rinks, drew two and just lost on one (119-106).
Two rinks tied for the biggest winning score, of 10 shots, with District secretary David Wright's rink beating the rink skipped by P Havord 24-14.
- 1 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 2 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 5 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 6 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 7 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 8 Vandals 'jump on car' causing damage in Letchworth
- 9 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 10 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
However the top rink award went to Brian Leadley (Baldock), Alan Bratherton (Stevenage Town), Colin Males (Holwell) and skip Terry Ware (Whitethorn) who beat D Hendry 26-16, by virtue of them winning 14 ends to Wright's 13 ends.
Other results (skips only): P Turner 21, A Mosley 21; N Houghton 17, R McComb 17; M Parsons 21, J Parsley 16; T Fuller 10, D Fox 22.