60th anniversary year celebrated
Letchworth and District s 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday. The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after sev
Letchworth and District's 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday.
The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after seven ends had been played on the six rinks.
By the 14th end, the county had extended their lead to eight shots, leading 75-67, as both teams led on three rinks each.
The final third of the game saw a spirited comeback by the District with two of the previously losing rinks fighting back to draw.
The final score was a 13-shot victory for Letchworth and District who won three rinks, drew two and just lost on one (119-106).
Two rinks tied for the biggest winning score, of 10 shots, with District secretary David Wright's rink beating the rink skipped by P Havord 24-14.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 4 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 5 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 8 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 9 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
However the top rink award went to Brian Leadley (Baldock), Alan Bratherton (Stevenage Town), Colin Males (Holwell) and skip Terry Ware (Whitethorn) who beat D Hendry 26-16, by virtue of them winning 14 ends to Wright's 13 ends.
Other results (skips only): P Turner 21, A Mosley 21; N Houghton 17, R McComb 17; M Parsons 21, J Parsley 16; T Fuller 10, D Fox 22.