60th anniversary year celebrated
Letchworth and District s 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday. The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after sev
Letchworth and District's 60th anniversary year was marked as county president Bob McComb brought a Herts county representative team to Whitethorn Bowls Club last Thursday.
The match began as a close affair with the county leading 37 shots to 35 after seven ends had been played on the six rinks.
By the 14th end, the county had extended their lead to eight shots, leading 75-67, as both teams led on three rinks each.
The final third of the game saw a spirited comeback by the District with two of the previously losing rinks fighting back to draw.
The final score was a 13-shot victory for Letchworth and District who won three rinks, drew two and just lost on one (119-106).
Two rinks tied for the biggest winning score, of 10 shots, with District secretary David Wright's rink beating the rink skipped by P Havord 24-14.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 7 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 10 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
However the top rink award went to Brian Leadley (Baldock), Alan Bratherton (Stevenage Town), Colin Males (Holwell) and skip Terry Ware (Whitethorn) who beat D Hendry 26-16, by virtue of them winning 14 ends to Wright's 13 ends.
Other results (skips only): P Turner 21, A Mosley 21; N Houghton 17, R McComb 17; M Parsons 21, J Parsley 16; T Fuller 10, D Fox 22.