Squirrel Taverners have completed part one of their double plans - by lifting the Hitchin Sunday League Division One Cup.

Their opponents in the final were Chells Rovers and the Taverners ended up winning 4-1.

It was a tight affair throughout the first half with scrappy football and both teams only creating few chances each.

A great save from Tyler Mitchell for Chells just before the break kept it at a deadlock going in to the second period, before Chells took the lead through Faron Hodges.

But Squirrel managed to turn the game on its head with Luke Smith and Sammy Nicholls scoring in quick succession and then Nicholls won a penalty not long after which was cooly converted by Daniel Bond.

They continued to apply the pressure and wrapped things up when Bond squared the ball to substitute Joel Mason who poked it home.

The Taverners can make it a cup double when they take on Troll Campbell in the Carl Couzens Challenge Cup Final.

That is on Sunday, May 26, at Arlesey Town Football Club, which will also host the final of the Division Two Cup this week, kick-off there at 3pm as Arlesey Town take on St Ippolyts.

It will be £5 per person with children under 12 free. All payments need to be made in cash.

There were two other cup ties played this week, both of them in the George John Cup.

In the first semi-final, St Ippolyts just missed out on a second final as despite putting up a fight, Division One Atletico 99 proved to be too strong and came out 3-1 winners.

The other semi-final was an all Division One affair between Pied Piper and AC Malone.

In the end this was much more straight forward, Malone controlling the game throughout and winning by a 6-1 score-line.

Daril Ngwala opened the scoring for Malone by curling in a free kick, and then proved it was no fluke by doing the same thing 10 minutes later to double the lead.

Ben Fairey pounced on a loose ball at the back to make it 3-0 at half time and the pressure continued after the break.

River Amis smashed in number four from a corner before Pied Piper pulled one back.

That was just a small bump in the road though and Malone restored their four-goal advantage when Dion Gibbs brilliantly played in Ricardo Green who curled the ball around an onrushing keeper

Number six sealed the victory with Kane Stanton getting in on the act with a right-footed shot across the keeper.

The final game of the day was in Division Two and this saw GSS at home to Sandon and an Ashley Daniels penalty plus a Marcus Dolby free-kick secured a 2-0 win for GSS.

Neither team changed position in the league, Sandon ending the year in second, four points behind champions Arlesey, while GSS are fifth.