Life after Mark Burke at Hitchin Town began in the same way it had ended - with the Canaries suffering another defeat.

Michael Jones took temporary charge of the side that travelled to Leamington for their latest Southern League Premier Division Central match.

He could not change their fortunes though and a 3-0 loss makes it 12 straight defeats and 13 without a win.

Two of the three home goals did come in stoppage time at the end of the game though as Hitchin pressed forward, but the result leaves them one place and four points above the relegation zone with seven games to go.

Next up is third placed AFC Telford United at Top Field on Saturday.

In contrast Stotfold made it four games without loss when they came from behind to beat play-off chasing Cirencester Town in Division One Central.

The visiting Centurions had taken the lead in first-half stoppage time but the Eagles were finally able to claw themselves level on 78 minutes, Matt Ball picking up the pieces after a teasing cross from Lewis Franklin and header from Ash Kersey had forced the keeper into a save.

The winner arrived in the first minute past the 90 and it was a super finish on the so-called weaker foot of Franklin.

The young full-back cut in and smashed it into the roof of the net after creating space for himself.


It has them 12th in the table, 11 points above second from bottom Kempston Rovers and just six behind North Leigh in the last of the play-off places with nine games remaining.

Brett Donnelly's men travel to fourth-place Waltham Abbey on Saturday.

In the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, Baldock Town are getting worryingly close to the relegation places after they lost 3-1 at home to Cockfosters, Newman Carey getting their only goal.

They are fourth from bottom, three points ahead of Crawley Green in the bottom two.

Arlesey Town are continuing to pull clear of danger under new manager Tommy Cooney though.

They drew 2-2 at the battling Luton side to sit 16th, six points ahead of the Reds.

Montel Brown and an own goal had given them a 2-0 lead at the break but Crawley pulled one back in the second half before Eddie Carrington saw red on 81 minutes for a second yellow.

Salt was then rubbed in the wounds as the home side went on to equalise in the seventh minute of stoppage time.

Letchworth Eagles remain third bottom of Division One after a disappointing 1-0 defeat at bottom of the table Burton Park Wanderers.

Regan Burrs got the only goal for the basement side on 70 minutes.

In Division Two, Codicote won 4-1 at home to Berkhamsted Raiders to stay third.

They are four points behind Newport Pagnell Town Res, who lost 6-0 to Pitstone & Ivinghoe United, and have three games in hand.

Aaron Jarvis got two goals with Liam Hayden and Jack Mongey one each for the Cod.