The East Hockey League is rapidly approaching its finale and teams but Stevenage and Blueharts are still battling.

The men's first team at Stevenage had a great result in Division Two South West, winning 5-1 away to Royston to leave them seventh in the table and confirming their place without any doubt in the division for next season.

Niall Trimble and Mike Oliver got to each with Dan Farnan one.

The seconds still looked locked on for third in Division Four but lost 5-3 to Broxbourne and the thirds lost too, 6-0 at Bishop's Stortford.

The ladies' first team are also third in Division Two but also lost, 3-2 at St Albans, while the thirds were beaten 1-0 at Welwyn Garden City and the sixths went down 2-0, also to St Albans.

The fourths, however, got a 1-1 draw at home to Bishop's Stortford in Division Five, moving them to within two points of their opponents.

It was an evenly fought game but Stevenage looked to be the dominant force throughout.

Stortford did take the lead through a penalty flick but Stevenage upped their game and got their reward when Nicki Reynolds finished off a Jane Parker pass.

The Comet: The men's second team at Blueharts Hockey Club. Picture: BLUEHARTS HCThe men's second team at Blueharts Hockey Club. Picture: BLUEHARTS HC (Image: Blueharts Hockey Club)

Blueharts men meanwhile are up to 11 and counting for their unbeaten run.

They drew 3-3 with Cambridge University to move second in the East League Premier Division, above Letchworth on goal difference.

Ben Apperly gave the Hitchin side the lead only for Cambridge to level just before half-time after some sloppy defending.

Jack Floor then scored a brilliant second to restore the Blues lead but by the time the game reached its finale, Cambridge led 3-2.

Blueharts grabbed a deserved point thanks to an Apperley drag flick.

The seconds are all but guaranteed the Division Two South West title after a 7-0 win over Hertford at Hitchin Boys' School.

Their six point lead and vastly superior goal difference means St Albans are unlikely to overtake them.

Richard Middleditch’s hat-trick was the centrepiece of the win with Adam Wells, Kyle Watson, Ben Philipson and James Morries also on the scoresheet.

The fourths need just a point to clinch third place in Division Three after two goals from Harry Storey gave them a 2-1 win over Bedford.

The threes could still catch them, but need results to go their way after being held to a 2-2 draw by Potters Bar.

A late Darren Mackintosh equaliser was needed though after Harry Macdonald had opened the scoring for the Blues.

An incident-packed game at Shefford & Sandy saw the fifths come back from 2-0 down to win 5-3.

Two goals from Joel Davey and one each from Ashley Hammond, George Gregory and Rory Williams were enough for the win.

The sixths lost 3-2 at home to Hertford and the sevenths came up short against Shefford, Bobby Bridges scoring in the 3-1 loss.

The ladies firsts shared seven goals with top three side Harleston Magpies, losing 4-3 after leaving .

The Blues went ahead three times, Isla Campbell scoring two and Helen Clarke one, but were pegged back.

The seconds lost 3-0 to league leaders Saffron Walden but the thirds had no such problems, winning 6-0 against St Albans with goals from Josie Layton (two), Emily Bryan, Jo Floor, Kiki Arellano and Lizzie Bayley.

A debut goal for Grace Deller proved just a consolation as the fourths lost 4-2 to Saffron Walden, Alice Winton scoring the other, and the fifths were also out of luck as they were beaten 2-0 by St Albans.

The sevenths won 5-0 though against Chiltern.