Hitchin Town's disappointing home form continued with defeat to managerless Berkhamsted in the Southern League.

The 3-1 loss was their fourth at Top Field in the last five games, the only break in that sequence being a 1-1 draw with Mickleover just before Christmas.

The Comet: Hitchin Town press the Berkhamsted goal. Picture: PETER ELSEHitchin Town press the Berkhamsted goal. Picture: PETER ELSE (Image: Peter Else)

It had looked good for the Canaries when they dominated the first half and led courtesy of Finlay Wilkinson's goal on 29 minutes, curled into the top corner after cutting in from the left.

But after the break, Berko, whose manager Steve Heath resigned earlier in the week, were a different proposition.

The Comet: Hitchin Town manager Mark Burke looks on. Picture: PETER ELSEHitchin Town manager Mark Burke looks on. Picture: PETER ELSE (Image: Peter Else)

They equalised on 64 minutes through Hamilton Bunga before a Nathan Frater double gave them the three points, only their second win of the season.

Hitchin meanwhile are now out of the play-off positions, this being their second defeat in a row following the 1-0 Boxing Day reverse at Royston Town.

Arlesey Town on the other hand have had a very enjoyable Christmas period.

They recorded their first win under new manager Tommy Cooney in the week, a 2-1 success over tenants Baldock Town, and then doubled down on that by beating Biggleswade United 1-0 at New Lamb Meadow.

Rory Busby got the only goal of the game on six minutes, turning in a Matt Gilbert cross.

Those wins have lifted the Blues up to 16th.

Baldock Town were unable to bounce back from the loss to their landlords as their game at Shefford Town & Campton was postponed on Saturday.

The Reds are 14th going into 2024.

Letchworth Eagles finished 2023 with a 4-2 defeat away to Winslow United, Rory Gilham and Shay Kelly getting the goals in SSML Division One.

Division Two came to an end with the hotly anticipated meeting of the top two.

And it was AFC Welwyn who took the spoils with a 2-1 success over Codicote.

The leaders were 2-0 ahead at half-time at Herns Lane, goals from Ricky Case and Jack Bradshaw doing the damage.

But after a disappointing 45 from Cod, they responded after the break and a Hayden finish on 81 minutes set up a frantic finale.

Welwyn now lead Newport Pagnell Town Res by seven points with Codicote a further point behind in third.