Stevenage boss Steve Evans had some choice words for the pundits on national television - watch our goal that won the game at Wycombe Wanderers.

The League One clash at Adams Park was settled on the stroke of half-time by Jamie Reid, his 13th of the season so far giving Boro a 1-0 success.

And the boss said passage of play leading up to it was as good as anything you'll see in the division or higher.

The Comet: Carl Piergianni drew praise from the boss for his performance at Wycombe. Picture: TGS PHOTOCarl Piergianni drew praise from the boss for his performance at Wycombe. Picture: TGS PHOTO (Image: TGS Photo)

Evans said: "People should look at the goal. I’m fed up with them on the Football League Show who say we don't play much football and we just play it long. 

"It was brilliant by Luther James-Wildin, a ball that's out of the Premier League by Vancooten, a touch by Kane Hemmings that’s as good as you’ll see and the finish is why [Jamie Reid] is the top scorer in League One. 

"He does that type of thing but he probably should have a hat-trick.

"But there is no doubt that the performance merits the points and if anything, it should be by a wider margin. 

"But you'll always take a 1-0 win away, especially at a difficult venue like Wycombe. 

"I thought we played some really good football thereafter and then in periods, we played controlled football. 

"They never looked like scoring. That's the biggest credit I can give to my players.  

"I don't think Taye Ashby-Hammond has had a save to make and even the one that goes off the top of the bar in the first half comes off Carl Piergianni’s head 

"He may have just mistimed his jump, and that happens, but Pidge was outstanding. 

"He’s taken some criticism for me at times [this season] but in that second-half, he led our team for what we are known for our fight, our aggression and our energy. 

"It was two good teams and there were half chances in both boxes but the big chances come our way."

The game was also noted by three lengthy stoppages, the last of them the most serious as Luke Leahy suffered a nasty clash of heads that kept him down on the ground for 14 minutes.

It took a few more minutes after that before play finally resumed and Evans said that was apparently due to discussions between Wycombe and the referee.

He said: "I don't think I’ve been involved in the game where you've got so many stoppages. 

"Our first thoughts are with Luke Leahy, the boy who came off concussed. That’s always [tough] to see.

"I said to the referee at the end of the game, I thought it was a tough game for him. 

"There was different scenarios going on over with the Wycombe bench but we let the referee and the match assessor make an informed decision about whether we were extending the game and going on. 

"My players were telling our bench that Wycombe wanted the game abandoned. 

"If you’ve got what happened at Leyton Orient a few weeks back and there are people fighting for their lives, then definitely, one million percent. 

"But I instructed my players and staff to stay away and if the match officials determine the game is to be stopped, then we respect that because it is a tough call."