Three lengthy stoppages for injuries may have taken the game to a very late finish but it was Stevenage who emerged triumphant at Wycombe Wanderers.

A goal on the stroke of half-time by Jamie Reid, his 13th of the season, gave Boro a 1-0 win and lifted them up to fifth in League One.

Wycombe suffered three injuries, the last of them to Luke Leahy being a serious bang to the head, meant the game ended at 5.30pm.

Bur Boro were good value for the three points after a tough battle.

Steve Evans went for three changes that scraped and scrapped their way into the second round of the FA Cup against Tranmere Rovers.

Luther James-Wildin, Finley Burns and Kane Hemmings were the trio to come in with Kane Smith, Louis Thompson and Elliott List giving up their spot.

Smith and Thompson weren't in the squad at all but Jake Forster-Caskey and Aaron Pressley were back on the bench after injury.

The victory over Rovers one week earlier may have finished 4-3 but was definitely not a thriller.

However, compared to the first half of this one, it was a positive barnburner.

This one was so tepid that a helicopter flying overhead on 29 minutes was considered exciting.

Bar a sloppy clearance by Taye Ashby-Hammond, which skimmed along the floor and almost landed at the feet of Brandon Hanlan on the edge of the area, neither team got into second gear.

There were two long breaks too as Ryan Tafazolli and then Hanlan needed lengthy treatment.

The first was for a bump on the nose while the second came after the forward tried to wrestle Carl Piergianni out of the way.

An awkward fall meant the home forward was not able to continue 

It did mean that the viewing public were treated to an extra 14 minutes at the end of the 45 and they contained the most excitement.

Wycombe began by hitting the crossbar, a free-kick whipped in from the right sliding off the head of Piergianni and coming back flush off the wood.

Jordan Roberts then hit a low shot that was easy for Max Stryjek to gather.

A daft foul by Alex MacDonald should have been punished by Wycombe but the free-kick, 20 yards out and central, was hit straight into the wall.

It actually led to a quick break and although that didn't produce anything, moments later Boro were in front.

Hemmings got the ball on the left and slid it in low to the near post where Reid got in front of his marker, poking the ball high into the net above the keeper.

It could well have changed the Boro outcome who seemed to be considering a half-time change up until then.

That was shelved, if it was ever going to happen, with Boro back out a good minute before the hosts.

The opening 10 minutes of the second period were more exciting than the entirety of the first half.

Terence Vancooten had to put a foot in inside the opening minutes as Wycombe started brightly but from there it was Stevenage who were on the front foot.

A quick break should have brought another goal but MacDonald opting to shift it to his right instead of pulling the trigger first time.

That was blocked behind and then Chris Forino made an excellent challenge as Hemmings momentarily got in behind the Chairboys defence.

Goalmouth action then took a break but the intensity thankfully remained high

Hemmings did have one shot that he hurriedly put over the top while David Wheeler hit the crossbar, although he was offside at the time.

Another lengthy and serious stoppage following a nasty landing or a head clash by Leahy meant more added minutes.

Every care was taken though to ensure the player, who left in a solid neck brace, was properly cared for.

Fourteen added minutes were shown but there was a further 10 minutes after the 90 before play finally restarted.

There were no more attempts of note as Boro easily saw out the added time.


Match details

Stevenage: Ashby-Hammond, James-Wildin, Butler, Piergianni, MacDonald (Forster-Caskey 90+14), Freeman, Roberts, Vancooten, Burns (N.Thompson 69), Reid, Hemmings (Pressley 90+17).

Sub (not used): Hegyi, List, White, B.Thompson.

Goals: Reid 45+14

Booked: N.Thompson 75, Forster-Caskey 90+23


Wycombe Wanderers: Stryjek, Scowen, Forino (Low 75), Tafazolli, Wheeler, Leahy (Boyes 90+10), McCleary, Keogh, Hanlan (De Barr 39), Taylor, Phillips.

Subs (not used): Ravizzoli, Breckin, Pattendon.

Booked: Forino 60, Leahy 79, Stryjek 90+13


HT: Wycombe Wanderers 0 Stevenage 1

Added time: 28

Referee: Benjamin Speedie (Bootle)

Attendance: 4,936