Stevenage just don't know how to do anything other than win at the minute - as they recorded a third success in League One.

A first-half goal from Jordan Roberts was looking like the winner away to Cambridge United until home substitute Elias Kachunga equalised with 10 minutes to go.

However, big goal Jamie Reid made up for an earlier miss by leathering Boro back in front two minutes later to seal  2-1 success.

It wasn't a game full of quality but it was full of tension and frantic action, with Stevenage more than happy to leave with their perfect unbeaten reord intact.

Steve Evans continued his rotation of the squad with four changes.

Taye Ashby-Hammond came in for Krisztian Hegyi while Luther James-Wildin, who could be out for a few weeks, Jake Forster-Caskey and Josh March were the others to go out.

Alex MacDonald, Kane Smith and Ben Thompson were the three outfield players to come in.

New signing Reece Hannam was one of the substitutes but Harrison Neal missed out as his registration came too late, meaning there was just six on the bench again.

The hosts almost got off to a sensational start when James Brophy got in completely unmarked down the Boro left.

His low cross flashed across the face of goal and needed Kane Smith to push it behind for a corner.

It wasn't the only time the Cambridge number seven got clear of the defence, the second time, a high cross fizzed right across the pitch, brought the Boro boss to his feet to give his players some words of wisdom.

Five minutes later, Boro had the lead.

A long free-kick from Ashby-Hammond was nodded down and into the box with Roberts and a defender closing in on the keeper, Jack Stevens.

And as the three came together,the Stevenage man was the only to react, poking the ball past the prone keeper and sending it bobbling into the empty net.

As far as other chances was concerned though, well there wasn't really any to mention.

Stevenage did have a lot of the ball in the Cambridge half but apart from Stevens going full length to push a Carl Piergianni header away and Ben Thompson firing low past the post, they didn't create too much.

Cambridge were the same though with their biggest moment coming from a corner from George Thomas that somehow bent and flew right through a crowded six-yard box and out for a goal kick without anyone getting a touch.

The second half brought more of the same to start with until Stevenage really should have extended their lead as the game got near to the hour mark.

Cambridge had actually enjoyed a good start to the half, Brophy with another cross that Smith had to defend excellently while a low shot was deflected across goal and wide.

But then a break for Aaron Pressley ended with the big man slicing the ball high and over.

Then came the even bigger chance.

Jamie Reid had only been on for a minute when he was slid through on goal.

He had time to pick his spot but he chose the same one Stevens thought he would and the keeper made a smart save low to his right.

Dan Butler then had to make a great block to prevent Cambridge from equalising, the ball pinging around in the box and almost opening up on a few occasions.

And as the half went on, the more frantic it got, but it was still out of nothing that Cambridge drew level.

Fejiri Okenabirhie got the ball on the right of the area and what came next was a shot, that he skewed to the right of Ashby-Hammond's goal and was tapped home by Kachunga.

But as suddenly as that came, Stevenage went back in front.

This time Reid had no time to think about it, so it was not surprise that the ball flew low off his foot and to the right of Stevens.

He received a booking for his celebrations but that would not have been a concern at that point.

There was a chance for Cambridge in stoppage time but the ball bounced away from Ashby-Hammond and wide of his post.

And that was that.


Match details

Stevenage: Ashby-Hammond, Butler, N.Thompson, Piergianni, MacDonald (Reid 61), Roberts (March 90), Smith, Burns, Pressley (Freeman 73), L.Thompson, B.Thompson (Forster-Caskey 61).

Sub (not used): Hegyi, Hannam.

Goals: Roberts 27, Reid 82

Booked: L.Thompson 32, Butler 68, Reid 83


Cambridge United: Stevens, L.Bennett, Andrew, Digby, Morrison, R.Bennett, Brophy, Thomas, Lankester (Okenabirhie 73), Janneh (Kachunga 7), Ahadme.

Subs (not used): Holden, Dunk, Okedina, Rossi, Simper.

Goal: Kachunga 80


HT: Cambridge United 0 Stevenage 1

Added time: 10

Referee: Will Finnie (Luton)

Attendance: 7,521 (including 1,259 from Stevenage)