Hitchin's road to Twickenham first needs to make a stop off - at Twickenham.

The Hedgehogs won 38-17 at home to Ashford in round two of the Community Cup Counties One South Plate.

The ultimate prize is a final appearance at the home of English rugby but the quarter-final draw has paired them away to the actual Twickenham Rugby Club, who play four miles down the road at Feltham.

That match takes place on Saturday.

The win over Ashford saw Hitchin take the lead inside five minutes when Ruiri Shanahan found Pierre de Rancourt with a miss pass.

The flanker then put in Elliot Gibson who skipped past the defender to go under the posts.

Ashford found space to score on the right edge after reversing the direction of play but Hitchin responded quickly.

A scrum penalty was kicked to touch and from there, Ben Wiggins found Will Rooney cutting in from the blind-side to score under the sticks.

Another Wiggins kick into the corner forced Ashford into a poor clearance that was collected by Ed Burbidge.

Dan Wiggins then recognised a mismatch in numbers and played quick ball to Gibson, Ian Crompton the final recipient to score Hitchin's third.

The home side pressed for a fourth before half-time and they were duly rewarded after seven phases, Ashford powerless to shop Shanahan rolling off a tackle and touching down.

With a 26-5 lead, the home side were in a good position

Ashford were struggling to cope with the centre pairing of Simon Taylor and Crompton and it was those two who combined to score Hitchin's fifth in the early going of the second period, the latter side-stepping the full-back for his second.

James Bolter then got in on the act, picking up from the base of a ruck and accelerating through the fringe defence.

The Ashford winger halted his charge but the skipper simply offloaded to Phil Ryan who finished from 20 metres.

Ashford ended with the scores though, bagging two more tries to narrow the gap, but after a messy final 20 minutes, Hitchin secured victory by a 21-point margin.

Letchworth's season ended with them conceding their final pool match to Hammersmith & Fulham in Regional Two Championship.

A 45-14 defeat to Horsham one week earlier had made qualification unlikely.