The new RFU Community Cup has had a less than auspicious start to its life with only a few matches played - but both Letchworth and Hitchin recorded victories.

Letchworth are playing in pool two of the Regional Two Championship and began with a 33-10 home win against Tottonians.

The damage was done in the first half with the Southampton-based club unable to deal with the fluency of the Legends.

Will Titherington fed Jai Johal to open the scoring with an unconverted effort but Josh Sharp had his kicking boots back to add the extras to try number two, Sonny Ma'asi getting it after starting the move himself.

Sharp initiated the third try, picking up a loose ball in his own half before passing to Luke Mongston who in turn gave Tom Lewis the score under the posts.

Totton did have their moments but the bonus point was wrapped up when Sharp intercepted a loose pass.

And the fifth score of the day almost went the way of Letchworth, Johal getting his second with Sharp's conversion taking the score to 33-0.

The visitors got one back before half-time as well as the only score of a second period that was scrappy at best and in no way related to the first period.

It also saw a red card to both sides, Johal involved in an altercation with the back row of Totton.

The result puts Letchworth second in the table with a trip to leaders Horsham next on April 15.

They finish at Hammersmith & Fulham on April 22.

Hitchin meanwhile were one of the 32 teams drawn in the Counties One South Plate.

However, of the 16 scheduled ties, only three were played, with two postponed and the other 11 settled by walkovers.

The Hedgehogs though eased into round two with a 55-29 success at home against Epping Upper Clapton.

They did start poorly, however, conceding a penalty for offside within a minute which Upper Clapton turned into three points.

The sides then traded tries, Ben Wiggins stretching out an arm to score for the home side, before the Hedgehogs took control.

James Bolter got number two after a maul and Simon Taylor offloaded out of a tackle to give Phil Ryan the third.

The fourth try was scored by Will Rooney, Wiggins and James Hunt involved in the build-up, and with the away side suffering from three overlapping yellow cards, Hitchin finished the half 27-10 to the good, Ian Crompton joining in the fun.

That fun didn't stop after the break though as both sides continued to attack.

Rooney got his second shortly after the restart before Louix West got his first try for the first team after Bolter and Elliot Gibson had found space.

Crompton's second came before 50 minutes were up but Hitchin lost focus after that and conceded three tries in the next 25 minutes.

They did at least finish with a try, Bolter picking up from the base of the ruck and surging over from five metres.

Hitchin's attention now switches to the President's Cup final against Hemel Hempstead on Thursday at Cheshunt.