Letchworth tightened their grip on the sole automatic promotion spot in Regional Two Anglia with a fine bonus-point victory over Ipswich.

The Legends stay seven points clear of Eton Manor after the 40-19 home win and need two wins from their remaining three games to take the title and elevation to the next level.

Fly-half Josh Sharp got half of his side's points, scoring two tries and a further 10 points with the boot.

Ipswich though had the better start with a converted try and they were then given a further boost when Tatenda Gurere was yellow carded for a high tackle.

Letchworth held out though and would score the next three tries.

Will Titherington went over for the first, Sharp wayward with that kick but not with the others.

The first conversion came after a break from Chris Gibbs was finished off by Ben Palmer and the second followed his own try, Harvey Howman with the perfect pass to complement the great-angled run.

Ipswich were not down-hearted, however, and their spirit brought a second converted try, aided by yet another yellow card for a high tackle, this one dished out to Tom Lewis.


But the final try of the half belonged to the home side, giving them the much sought after bonus point.

Luke Mongston was the architect this time as Howman got the score, using his strength and footwork to break three tackles.

Sharp's kick made it 26-14.

The second half began as the first had, with an Ipswich score to narrow the gap back to seven.

It was as close as Ipswich would get and the remainder of the contest saw Letchworth pull clear.

Excellent pressure forced the visitors to spill the ball in their own half with Tommy Wilcock pouncing on the gift.

He gained a few yards before Rick Streets took over, setting up centre partner Titherington for his second try, superbly converted by Sharp.

And the final score belonged to Sharp, getting the ball off a line-out and once again going over close enough to the posts to give himself an easy conversion.

The Comet: Ruiri Shanahan breaks away supported by Elliot Gibson and Adam Baird. Picture: MARTIN WIGGINSRuiri Shanahan breaks away supported by Elliot Gibson and Adam Baird. Picture: MARTIN WIGGINS (Image: Martin Wiggins)

Hitchin made it four wins from four in Counties One Herts Middlesex, all but confirming a top-half finish for the season.

They beat Finchley 39-18 at Old Hale Way to stay fifth, nine points behind Old Streetonians but now 16 clear of Welwyn with just four games to go.

Skipper James Bolter had a day to remember as well.

He was already winning his 200th cap for the Hedgehogs but he marked it in style by scoring a hat-trick of tries.

The first came after the sides had traded penalties, Ben Wiggins scoring for Hitchin.

A set-move from a scrum sent Phil Ryan deep inside the Finchley half and when he was stopped, Bolter spotted a gap on the blind side and charged through.

His next two came in the second period, by which time Hitchin were 15-8 in front thanks to a converted try trumping Finchley's unconverted effort, Wiggins the home scorer.

The hosts deployed all three substitutes by half-time and one of them got try number three, Sean McGinnity powering over the line.

The bonus-point score came out wide through hooker Gary Ayres and two minutes later Bolter was back on the scoresheet as he collected his own chip ahead.

Finchley got their second try with 10 minutes to go but Bolter would have the last word, striding untouched through the middle after picking up from the back of a ruck.

Hitchin have another home game this week but on Friday night under the lights. Neighbours Datchworth are the visitors.

The seconds were defeated at Letchworth, but battled hard with just 14 men, and the colts won 46-10 against Ruislip.