The club may still have been basking in the glow of the Aston Villa success but for Stevenage's youngsters there was disappointment - as they were beaten by Hitchin Town in the Herts Senior Cup.

A penalty from Fin Wilkinson just past the hour was enough to give the Canaries a 1-0 victory at Top Field and send them into a semi-final meeting with Cheshunt.

It may not have been as prestigious as the FA Cup but both sides made this a fascinating contest in front of a good-sized crowd.

Hitchin managed to create a number of good chances but most were either off target or stopped by Boro keeper Rylee Mitchell.

At the other end there was often some good build-up play but little to trouble Charlie Horlock and the game ended with Boro down to 10 men, Harry Giroud given a straight red card.

For Hitchin it was a second success in three days, a 2-0 win at home to Bromsgrove Sporting in the Southern League Premier Division Central ending a run of three straight defeats.

The perofrmance was much more like the Canaries side of earlier in the season that had stormed into the play-off positions.

Diogo Freitas Gouviea got the first with a finish into the bottom corner and Ashley Hay sealed the win six minutes after the interval with a header from a Toby Syme cross.

Bromsgrove did have the ball in the net late on but that was ruled out for offside and the three points shift Hitchin into ninth place, one spot below their hosts on Saturday, Mickleover.

In the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, Stotfold moved further clear at the top but they were left disappointed by some of ther performances.

Speaking on Twitter, manager Brett Donnelly said the 2-1 win over Tring Athletic on Saturday was "an absolute stinker" with "no quality at all, except our defending".

Mason Spence got the first and Jack Bradshaw the winner but there was no goal-scorer in the Eagles' next match, a 0-0 draw away to Arlesey Town.

That point moved Stotfold two points clear of Leighton Town but the challengers have two games in hand.

At the other end, Arlesey move out of the bottom two on goal difference, dropping Colney Heath back into the drop-zone.

It was the fourth league game without defeat for Nick Brown's men and followed a 2-2 draw at Potton United on Saturday.

Rory Busby got both goals as the Blues twice came from behind.

Baldock Town were involved in a classic at home to Aylesbury Vale Dynamos but ended up on the wrong side of a 4-3 loss.

Joseph Abe, Zach Decker and Josh Furness got the goals with the Reds now 16th, two places but seven points ahead of Arlesey.

Arlesey are at home to Dunstable Town on Saturday with Baldock away to Cockfosters and Stotfold at Risborough Rangers.

Letchworth Eagles had a blank weekend but are back in action on Saturday when they host Raunds Town in Division One.

In Division Two, Codicote will play away to Totternhoe.