You had to go back to January 2019 to find the last time Hitchin Town recorded three Southern League wins back to back but they have managed it now - to rocket up to fringes of the Premier Division Central play-off positions.

They already had one of the wins in the bank, a 2-1 success over AFC Rushden & Diamonds at Top Field, but two more home games brought similar stories. 

Saturday's victory was also the biggest of the campaign so far as they saw off Mickleover 4-1.

They got off to a flying start too, Diogo Freitas Gouveia celebrating the signing of a contract with the Canaries by netting in the second minute.

Ashley Hay then hit the post almost immediately but Hitchin were not to be denied and they took a 2-0 lead on 14 minutes, Steve Cawley holding the ball up before turning and firing beyond Jonathan Hedge in the Mickleover goal.

The newly-found attacking flair kept going with a third on 24 minutes, Cawley again the scorer.

It was only to be expected that Hitchin would suffer a slowing down after their blistering start and sure enough it came as the half headed to a conclusion.

That allowed Mickleover to get their foot on the ball more and it brought one back a minute before the break, Andy Dales supplying the inch-perfect cross for Stuart Beavon to tuck away.

The second period was mostly Mickleover pressure but with Hitchin standing firm one way or another.

And as the half ticked on, the visitors took more and more risks, opening them up to counter attacks.

And it was from one of those that Hitchin wrapped up the points, Brad Bell volleying home for the victory.

Two days later they were back to follow it up with a 2-1 success over Redditch United, the team that had dumped them out of the FA Trophy in October, 3-0 on the very same Top Field turf.

This was a far more even contest which Hitchin took the lead in on 39 minutes.

The goalkeeper came out to meet Hay but on the edge of his own box, he could only deflect it away slightly, with the loose ball running kindly for Jack Snelus to ram home.

The game was level by the interval though as Hitchin failed to deal with a corner and Ryan Wollacott equalised.

The home winner though also came from a set-piece.

A free-kick was lofted into the area and the flight of the ball foxed everyone but Hay, who came in at the back post to convert. 

There was little action elsewhere with the Spartan South Midlands League having a frugal weekend of fixtures.

Arlesey Town did play in the Premier Division but lost 3-2 to Ardley United at home.

Reece Crowter scored in the first half while Sudayisi Sendege netted a penalty midway through the second period.

That had given the Blues a 2-1 lead but another penalty with 16 minutes to go levelled things up and Ardley snatched the three points with six minutes remaining.