Goals from Jack Snelus and Stan Georgiou helped Hitchin Town recover instantly from a derby disappointment.

The Canaries had been beaten 4-2 at Royston Town on Saturday in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

However, their midweek fixture on Monday at Top Field ended in a 2-1 win over AFC Rushden & Diamonds.

They had to come from behind to do it as Diamonds belied their lowly position in the table.

Both sides had gone close to an opening goal before one actually arrived.

Georgiou looked set for his first Hitchin goal but was denied by a superb block while Diogo Freitas-Gouveia and Snelus were both narrowly off target with efforts.

At the other end the visitors did all but score from a corner and Anthony Agemoh-Davies did put the ball in the net, only to be denied by the linesman's flag.

The goal finally arrived on 37 minutes after the Canaries lost possession in midfield, with Rushden reacting quickly and Fraser Corden supplying the finish.

The lead lasted just two minutes though as Hitchin hit them on the counter from a corner.

The second half continue in a similar vein, with the chances for Hitchin falling to Ashley Hay and Brad Bell among others.

The winner arrived with eight minutes of the contest to go. Snelus got the credit at the time but later discussions revealed Georgiou as the scorer.

Ultimately it didn't matter who out the ball in the net, just that it went in and restored the confidence from the game at Garden Walk.

There Freitas-Gouveia scored the first and last goal in the match. The unfortunate problem being the Crows managed four in between.

He had two goes for the opener on 26 minutes, with the second proving fairly unstoppable, but crucially they were to concede before the interval, Kian Harness heading home in the first minute of stoppage time.

The game was then virtually put to bed with a double inside the opening 10 minutes of the second period.

Matt Bateman got the first of them and Harness got his second two minutes later with a shot that foxed Charlie Horlock.

The fourth arrived on 67 minutes and brought Harness his hat-trick and while Freitas-Gouveia got the best goal of the day, it was all too little, too late.

There were plenty of goals in the Spartan South Midlands League but not all of them were flying in at the right end for north Herts clubs.

Arlesey Town's difficult season continued with a 4-0 home defeat to Risborough Rangers while Baldock Town suffered a 4-1 loss at Leverstock Green.

Stotfold though roared to a crushing 5-0 win away to Ardley United.

Temilola Akinbusoye led the way with a hat-trick while Codi-Lee Spavins and Mason Spence got the others.

The goals continued in Division One too as Letchworth Eagles scored an incredible come from behind success at Homer Green.

They trailed 3-0 at the break and looked in serious trouble but the second half was completely different.

And goals from Mark Summers (two), Adedoyin Sanni and substitute Redha Zekri saw they leave Buckinghamshire with a 4-3 win.

Codicote meanwhile drew 1-1 at home to MK Football Academy in Division Two, Liam Hayden the man on target.