Stevenage were dumped out of the Carabao Cup after a penalty shoot-out at home to Charlton Athletic.

A first-half penalty from Luke Norris looked to have settled the tie until Chuks Aneke thumped home an equaliser with three minutes to go and leave it at 1-1.

It meant penalties were needed and the time for a hero to emerge.

That proved to be Charlton keeper Joe Wollacott who dived away to his left to push Jake Taylor's effort away.

It was tough for Stevenage but they missed a whole host of chances to kill the League One side off.

Two changes were forced on Steve Evans, Alex Gilbey's loan move from the Addicks meaning he was unavailable for selection as was Jordan Roberts, suspended after his sending off on Tyneside.

Aside from that the Boro boss made another three changes from the weekend's FA Cup win at Gateshead.

Max Clark, Michael Bostwick, Arthur Read, Taylor and Norris came in with Dean Campbell, Jamie Reid and Saxon Earley the others stepping out.

Only five subs were named too as unavailability bit hard.

But while their bench was light, the starting squad for Stevenage was still strong and the players brought in looked like they had a point to prove.

Clark twice got in down the left but it was an attack down the other flank that brought the first chance.

Norris scooped the pull-back over the top from 14 yards and it wouldn't be the only time in the first half.

His next chance was again created down the right but this time he didn't make any real contact.

That though had come after he had comfortably knocked home a penalty - and there was no doubt about the award.

A looping cross from the left dropped out of the sky towards young defender Richard Chin.

He completely lost the flight of the ball and it fell onto his outstretched arm.

The goal gave Boro an even bigger spark of life.

Terence Vancooten sent a well-controlled volley wide while a fabulous counter attack full of pace and passing ended with Read's incisive move forward giving Taylor a clear view of goal.

He stepped inside the one covering defender but hit his shot tamely at Wollacott.

Taylor also clipped the crossbar with a cross but it was a loose ball that fell to Dan Sweeney that almost brought another.

That was blocked by a desperate slide by a defender.

Charlton had done little going the other way, one clipped shot over Aaron Champman that bounced wide of the post their only shot of note.

And there were boos from their large travelling support at the half-time whistle.

Even the most ardent Stevenage supporter wouldn't have expected a similar story to the first period and the question at the break was when would the fightback start?

The answer certainly wasn't immediately and two Read free-kicks from a position on the Stevenage left gave Charlton defenders palpitations, the first especially which was glanced wide by an unmarked Bostwick from 12 yards when he should have done better.

Possession from the away side did creep up but Chapman remained untroubled and Charlton decided to twist with four substitutes coming on at once after 61 minutes, including Aneke and Stephen Sessegnon.

But there was still no way through and Stevenage's dogged defence kept sensing opportunities with the quick break.

They were back to their defensive duties with 12 minutes to go as a looping header from Ryan Inniss dropped over the keeper but off the bar.

Earley got a block in during the following scramble before a foul on Chapman relieved the pressure.

But the chances were beginning to come. Sean Clare headed over from close range and then Chapman spilled a low cross before the ball was cleared.

Aneke though broke Stevenage hearts with his low thump inside Chapman's near post and the six added minutes only brought a header from David Amoo straight at Wollacott. 

That wasn't to be the keeper's last contribution.


Stevenage: Chapman, James-Wildin, Clark (Earley 66), Piergianni, Sweeney, Taylor, Norris (Amoo 74), Vancooten, Read (Campbell 85), Bostwick, Rose.

Subs (not used): Ashby-Hammond, Reid.

Goal: Norris (pen) 22

Booked: Rose 33


Charlton Athletic: Wollacott, Dobson (Forster-Caskey 77), Lavelle, Stockley (Aneke 61), Morgan (Sessegnon 61), Rak-Skyi, Payne (Kirk 61), Fraser, Inniss, Clare, Chin (Blackett-Taylor 61).

Subs (not used): Macgillivray, Elerewe, Henry, Campbell.

Goal: Aneke 87

Booked: Chin 21, Clare 90+5, Lavelle 90+6


HT: Stevenage 1 Charlton Athletic 0

Referee: Tom Nield (Barnsley)

Attendance: 3,515 (1,137 from Charlton)