Letchworth moved top of the Regional Two Anglia table with victory away to Chelmsford - but they didn't have it all their own way.

They had effectively won it by half-time as they moved into a 21-0 lead but the hosts dug deep and kept the Legends on their toes after the break, Letchworth only securing a final victory of 28-7.

It did earn them a bonus-point for four tries and keeps them unbeaten, a sequence that will be put to the test by HAC on Saturday, the only other side without a loss to their name so far and the side Letchworth leap-frogged to the division's summit.

The opening try came after ball won at a midfield line-out was spread to one wing and then the other, Harvey Howman eventually spotting a gap to score close enough to the posts to allow Ben Palmer to kick the conversion.

The latter would land the extras on each of Letchworth's four tries, the second of which was scored by Ifereimi Vukinavanua, slipped in by Luke Mongston with 20 minutes on the clock.

Tatenda Gurure got the final try of the first-half with a fine individual score that saw him fend off three defenders.

Luke De Normanville came on for his first-team debut at half-time but the changes made no difference and Letchworth continued to push forward in the early going, scoring their fourth through Tom Lewis after a pushover by the pack.

But from there Chelmsford applied good pressure and enjoyed much more possession.

And they got their reward when a ball fizzed out from a scrum sent the speedy Jack Acorn over.

Letchworth's defence had to raise their game to prevent any further home scores, which they did, but they know they will need to be better for the full 80 on Saturday.

Hitchin will turn their attentions to an old rivalry and the visit of Welwyn to Old Hale Way on Saturday in the Counties One Herts Middlesex division.

It comes after their latest outing ended in a 27-12 loss away to Ruislip.

It started in almost perfect fashion, the Hedgehogs barely giving their hosts a touch of the ball before exposing the overlapand sending Fred Rooney in to score.

An interception allowed Ruislip to run in under the posts for a seven-point score and that derailed Hitchin slightly, allowing the home side to take control and add a second try for a 12-5 half-time lead.

Hitchin did start the second half better and were on the front foot for the first 10 minutes.

Crucially though they didn't score in this period and Ruislip showed them how to be clinical by first kicking a penalty and then scoring a converted try despite being down to 14 men.

Hitchin responded with a Simon Taylor try converted by Rooney to reduce the gap to 10.

A penalty was also just off target before a yellow card to Jon Welsford stopped their momentum.

And with the scrums made uncontested as Hitchin picked up a second front-row injury, Ruislip exploited the reduced numbers to score a bonus-point try and seal the victory.

Despite a much-improved performance on the previous Saturday’s disappointing effort at Finchley, Datchworth were ultimately outplayed by high-flying Old Streetonians, losing 48-20 at home.

The Men in Green started brightly and aggressively, tackling hard and rucking well, and James Wilson kicked them into an early 3-0 lead.

However, they would only get another three points for their first-half efforts as the Londoners turned round 27-6 ahead.

For the most part the hosts were equal in the scrums and line-outs and defended stoutly but two excellent converted tries give Old Street a base.

And they showed their competent and ruthless streak time and time again to find holes in the Datchworth defensive line and secure the bonus point by the break.

Datchworth gave a much better account of themselves in the second half, scoring two excellent converted tries of their own.

The first of these was started by a great break from prop Will Williams, in fine form before departing for a three-month sheep-shearing stint in New Zealand, and finished by the electric pace of Wilson.

But these were matched by two more tries from Streetonians, determined not to let Datchworth back into the game.

The Men in Green had a number of try-scoring opportunities in the second half but some sloppy passing and handling let these chances slip away.

Nevertheless, they will take heart from a gutsy performance against a very skilful team.

A spokesman for the club said: "Young second-row forward Connor Harris, the man of the match against Finchley, had another outstanding game but was beaten to the man of the match award this week by even younger Ollie Barnes who tackled very well and made some bullocking runs, at times taking several opposition defenders with him.

"It was good to have inside centre Mark Livesey back and James Wilson had another excellent match, scoring 15 of his team's 20 points."