The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League round-up Dun Cow Res became the first Stevenage side to win the Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup in 20 years with a surprisingly easy win over AC Finchley Select B. It took them 10 minutes to find their feet, but on

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League round-up

Dun Cow Res became the first Stevenage side to win the Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup in 20 years with a surprisingly easy win over AC Finchley Select B.

It took them 10 minutes to find their feet, but once they settled down and started playing football, they created chance after chance.

Danny Huggins' cross-shot forced the keeper into a good save before Danny Lane struck the crossbar with a header. Keith Coughlin was getting plenty of the ball and had a couple of chances along with Mark Phillips before the breakthrough finally came when a good move involving five or six players saw a cross find James Dillnutt to score with a great header. Number two followed shortly after via the same source, a Dillnutt header.

At half-time and two up, the referee commented it was like men against boys. Their opponents' only real chance saw Scott Waters make a good save before they went straight down the other end and bagged the third. Coughlin cut in and had a shot which was blocked, but the quick-thinking Lane was first to it and flicked the ball over the stranded keeper.

The influential Coughlin then cut in again and his shot from the edge of box found the net despite a touch from the keeper.

The Cow management showed a nice touch by pushing Darren Downes on for the final two minutes, even though he could barely walk due to him enduring a cruciate ligament injury recently!

Nirankari Sports Sabha sewed up their third successive Premier Division title with the double header win that was required.

Mallard's title chances were over before a ball was kicked as DC Out Bar were let down by three players on the day of the game, meaning they fielded just 10 men in each game and others played on with injury.

Netting in match one were Andrew Levy, Ben L'Honore, Mark Yearwood, Rory Spencer, Neil Armstrong and Scott Orphanou.

In the second game, it was much closer, L'Honore drilled a shot home from the edge of the box, before Ricky Small scored with a great strike from 20 yards. Finally, Russell Bull notched after coming on as a substitute with only three minutes remaining.

Bank Holiday Monday saw an amazing encounter as Third Division King Pin United secured a cup double against Premier Division Probuild in the Invitation Cup final at Hitchin Town's Top Field.

The three-goal advantage was wiped out in the first half when Probuild showed their class, creating numerous chances. An own goal was followed by strikes from Lee Allinson and Terry Pateman.

Although he was beaten twice with goals which went directly in from crosses, a sterling performance between the posts by their penalty shoot-out hero Simon Keehne kept the scoreline down.

If only James Wyatt's lob had gone in instead of bouncing back into Probuild keeper Dean Greenough's hands off the post, things may have been different.

However, Pin soon made a game of it when after just 36 seconds of the restart, a Nick Collins header sent Dave Holmes clear to stun the Probuild players and supporters as he lobbed home superbly.

Against a clearly rattled side, Pin took advantage and after some good play down the right by Wyatt and Adam Bannister, Holmes was fouled inside the box for a penalty. Kenny Slack's anger in kicking the ball at the referee brought him a straight red card.

With their tails up, they were brought back down to earth as skipper Danny Lingwood stepped up and blazed his kick over the bar.

Although down to 10 men, Probuild kept going forward and Tony Lister twice hit the post. With just two minutes to go, a free-kick was whipped in, Keehne's punch did not have enough purchase and Steve Skinner smashed home a rare goal to what seemed to have sent the game into extra-time.

However, Pin pushed forward and found Holmes on the left of the box, he cut inside and sent a fizzing shot past the onrushing defender into the right corner of the goal via a slight touch from Greenough to send the players and supporters delirious with another cup victory.

Secretary Kieran Bowden said: "It's been a great season for the Pin with a top three finish in the league, a win in the divisional cup at Stevenage Boro and now a cup double thanks to a Premier scalp in the Invitation Cup.

"Congratulations to all our players, staff and supporters and to the pub itself for all its support this year."

Probuild's Gary Pomfret added: "It was a very good game and played in good spirit, but all credit to King Pin. They took their only real chances in the game and we missed God knows how many; so frustrating."

Tuesday night saw Hitchin host another final in the Division Four effort where Nirankari Sports Sabha Res completed the double.

When news filtered through that hotshots Russell Bull and Martin Wilson were suspended, Roebuck Gate must have fancied their chances, but it was no contest. Dean Allen (two), Mike Davis, Mark Outram, Craig Gilbert, Sam Spender and Martin Wilson were on target in the rout.

Manager and secretary Bull said: "Congratulations to the boys, they played brilliant football throughout, especially Spencer, who ran the game and Bruce Bass ran his socks off. Fair play lads, a great double-winning season."

Roebuck Gate secretary Mark Hollis added: "We were outplayed all over the park. They're a very, very good side as we knew anyway. Pity it was such a high score, but that's how it goes sometimes. Fair play to 'em."

A finale to a long season sees the Division Two final rescheduled for tonight (Thursday).

Tomorrow night sees Nirankari SS attempt to complete the league and league cup double against Bottles who will look to salvage something from a disappointing season.

Sunday morning is an intriguing encounter between Pig and Whistle and Pied Piper in the Division One final in the morning.

Later in the day, Nirankari SS are in action again as rivals Dun Cow look to win the blue riband competition, the KLM Challenge Cup, for the umpteenth time.

Sunday at Broadhall Way is not to be missed! Entry to each final is £3 adults and £1 concessions.

* Compiled by Darren 'Statto' Jones



Sunday, May 4

Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup, final: Dun Cow Res 4 AC Finchley Select B 0.

Premier Division: DC Out Bar 0 Nirankari SS 6, Nirankari SS 3 DC Out Bar 0.

Monday, May 5

Invitation Cup, final: Probuild 4 King Pin United 5.

Tuesday, May 6

Division Four Cup, final: Nirankari SS Res 7 Roebuck Gate 0.


Tonight (Thursday, May 8)

Division Two Cup, final: Dun Cow Res v Royal Oak (at Hitchin Town FC, 7.30pm ko).

Friday, May 9

Premier Division Cup, final: Nirankari SS v Bottles (Stevenage Borough FC, 6.30pm ko).

Sunday, May 11

Division One Cup, final: Pig and Whistle v Pied Piper (Stevenage Borough FC, 10.30am ko).

KLM Challenge Cup, final: Nirankari SS v Dun Cow (Stevenage Borough FC, 2.30pm ko).