There were seven games involving clubs from the Hitchin Sunday League in the second round of the Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup. As with the junior cup the previous Sunday, four teams made it through to the next round. North Herts Hatters remain unbeaten f

There were seven games involving clubs from the Hitchin Sunday League in the second round of the Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup.

As with the junior cup the previous Sunday, four teams made it through to the next round.

North Herts Hatters remain unbeaten for the season and progressed through to the third round following a narrow win against fellow Division Two side Red Hart.

The Hatters took an early lead through a superb effort by Marcus Sarll when he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards. Paul Woodhead then repeated this feat to make it 2-0 before Sam Roads pulled one back for Red Hart before half time.

Red Hart then piled on the pressure in the second half and managed to level with a second goal for Roads, this time after a dubious penalty was awarded.

The game then went into extra time and the Hatters sealed victory when Eddie Kemp headed home from a superb cross by Richard Aylott.

Wanderers hosted Welwyn Campus and despite going a goal down early on, came out victorious.

Barney Buck's goal from close range and a well-taken goal by Gavin Fowler saw Wanderers finish the first half in front.

Midway through the second half, Grant Harknett increased Wanderers' lead with a looping header.

The Campus keeper scored with a massive goal kick but Harknett put the ball into an empty net from about 35 yards to seal a 4-2 victory and calm nerves.

HTS Barleycorn Res won by the same score at home to Buncefield.

The other team to progress through to the next round were Operation Swordfish who won their encounter with Old Elizabethans 3-0.

It was a bad day for Kcinsatop Res who got thumped 7-1 away at Cheshunt Corinthians, while Whitwell Res lost at home to Turnford Rangers by 5-2. Unfortunately Dynamo Letchworth could not raise a team so they had to forfeit their game against Belstone.

In league action, PJ Hitchin went two points clear at the top of the Premier Division following a good 5-1 win against Whitwell. On the scoresheet for PJ were Ryan Foster, Ricky Small, Gareth Grant, Craig Skelton and Adrian Turner.

Cannon and Kcinsatop came away with a point each after a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Stephen Hay netting for Cannon.

The Park won for the second week in a row as they narrowly beat Crown Stotfold 4-3.

Red Star, who are still struggling, gained a point after a 3-3 draw with HTS Barleycorn but remain bottom of the table.

In Division One, Shillington maintained their good form and increased their lead at the top of the table by winning 2-0 against a resilient SMU side. The 'Pirates' are now unbeaten for well over a season in the league.

The goals came from Ross Woodbridge and Deano DaRocha. Both came late on which is a credit to SMU who were minutes away from securing a draw.

Jackmans Jackdaws defeated previously high-scoring Chequers Stotfold 4-1 to record their first win of the season and move up to sixth in the table.

Ocean's Eleven had a field day in Division Two, putting eight goals past Clifton Sunday without reply.

There was one other game in the division and that saw Broadmead bounce back to beat bottom of the table Cannon Res 3-1 who are still without a point.

Broadmead took a lead in the first half thanks to a penalty for handball and the resulting spot-kick was calmly dispatched by Mark Whitaker.

Cannon were themselves awarded a penalty for a foul in the box which was scored by Jason Harrison.

An own goal saw Broadmead lead and Ashley Reynolds crossed for Steven Young who sidestepped the keeper before scoring the third.

The big game in Division Three was Green Man Ickleford against Athletico Hitchin in which Green Man came out 5-1 winners with Stephen Oakman scoring the solitary goal for Athletico. This result also meant that Green Man moved to the top of the table.

Clifton Sunday Res lost out to Walsworth with the final score being 3-2.

The bottom of the table clash saw Paynes Park losing yet again this time at the hands of AC Malone Res 6-2 who picked up their first three points of the season.

Scorers for Malone were Sean Duignan, Mark Rogers, Kyle Stephenson and a hat-trick from Dean Stephenson.

Wilbury won 3-1 at home to LGC Spartans.

The league website: is now being updated and teams wishing to add photographs should email:

with details.

* Compiled by Dave Rush


Sunday, October 19

Premier Division: Cannon 1 Kcinsatop 1, Crown Stotfold 3 The Park 4, PJ Hitchin 5 Whitwell 1, HTS Barleycorn 3 Red Star 3.

Division One: Jackmans Jackdaws 4 Chequers Stotfold 1, Shillington 2 SMU 0.

Division Two: Broadmead 3 Cannon Res 1, Ocean's Eleven 8 Clifton Sunday 0.

Division Three: Green Man Ickleford 5 Athletico Hitchin 1, Clifton Sunday Res 2 Walsworth 3, Paynes Park 2 AC Malone Res 6, Wilbury 3 LGC Spartans 1.

Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup, second round: Wanderers 4 Welwyn Campus 2, HTS Barleycorn 4 Buncefield 2, Red Hart 2 North Herts Hatters 3 (aet), Dynamo Letchworth v Belstone (off), Cheshunt Corinthians 7 Kcinsatop Res 1, Operation Swordfish 3 Old Elizabethans 0, Whitwell Res 2 Turnford Rangers 5.


Sunday, October 26

Premier Division: Crown Stotfold v Red Star, HTS Barleycorn v Whitwell, Kcinsatop v PJ Hitchin, The Park v Cannon.

Division One: AC Malone v Wanderers, Jackmans Jackdaws v Shillington, SMU v Kcinsatop Res, Whitwell Res v Chequers Stotfold.

Division Two: Cannon Res v North Herts Hatters, Clifton Sunday v Red Hart, Operation Swordfish v Dynamo Letchworth, Shillington Sunday v Broadmead.

Division Three: Green Man Ickleford v Wilbury, LGC Spartans v Athletico Hitchin, Walsworth v Clifton Sunday Res, Wanderers Res v Paynes Park.