Despite another wet morning, it saw plenty more talking points (writes Darren Statto Jones). Almost every report began with on a muddy pitch… or the like, so I won t bore you with that, but take into account that every pitch was like that. The Council

Despite another wet morning, it saw plenty more talking points (writes Darren "Statto" Jones).

Almost every report began with "on a muddy pitch..." or the like, so I won't bore you with that, but take into account that every pitch was like that.

The Council have come into some criticism for calling games off in the past but thankfully they've now agreed to allow the match officials to make the decision. Some of the pitches are really suffering now though.

In the Herts Senior Cup, Mallard were involved in a right old battle. They travelled to Welwyn to face Horse and Groom, who sit second in the Welwyn & Hatfield League.

They took the lead before half-time thanks to a calm finish from Glen Lamacraft after good work from Adam Hazelton. After the home side levelled, Craig Reynolds' cross found Hazelton, who made no mistake from 12 yards. Reynolds then scored a wonderful free-kick from 20 yards before Groom pulled another goal back, but then had their 'keeper sent-off, which seemed to seal their fate.

Mallard fielded a new 'keeper in the shape of former Royal Oak stopper Andy North, and he made several fine saves. They've now set up a potential last 16 clash with Dun Cow, who must to try again against Oxhey Estates this week.

Probuild found themselves behind early on against The Park for the third week running after conceding an own goal. However, they got back into the game when a pass from Rich Hall found Tony Lister, who beat the last man and slotted pass the 'keeper. Dean Allen put them in front by the break, following up after a rare shot from Steve Skinner. Michael Bunker outjumped the Park 'keeper to net another from a Pete Duffy corner. The home side pulled another one back before Hall restored the two-goal advantage. Ricky Phillips put the game beyond doubt when he also headed home a Duffy corner. They now travel to Lea Valley Royals on January 4 for a quarter-final place.

MH Goldsmith went through to face IML or Leverstock Green Centurians after Langleybury Cricket Club forfeited.

The only downside came when former winners Queens Head Sandridge were too hot for J.A.P. Builders, hitting half-a-dozen without reply.

Two KLM Challenge Cup ties saw plenty more goals. Putterills set themselves up with a shot at the winner of the Bedwell Athletic v Dun Cow after comprehensively dealing with a poor Fox Res side. Pete Morrison opened the scoring in the first minute.

They added to their early tally with two Dave Banks headers before Tim Chesworth and Jon Pace both put themselves on the scoresheet before half-time. It was equally one-way-traffic after the break and they extended their lead when Pace deflected a Banks shot home.

A Jimmy Anderson 20-yard effort and another Morrison finish made it eight. Pace completed an unlikely hat-trick, volleying home from close range from a Banks cross before adding his fourth with his head from a Kris McMahon corner. McMahon also got himself on the list when prodding home a deflection. A late Lampardesque midfield run from Banks saw him complete his hat-trick and the rout.

Carl Smith was the difference as he plundered five goals for Stevenage Leisure Ltd against Marquis of Lorne. Every time he had the ball at his feet, he looked like scoring. With Jason Drackford out, Carl Booth stepped into his place and notched the other two goals as they played well together. Frazer Triggs (two) and Jason Lovelock replied for Marquis of Lorne.

Kaan Fehmi (four), Arin Fehmi, Tom Hillard, Liam McQueen and Dave Pateman netted as Premier Division leaders Roebuck Scaffolding won comfortably against bottom-side DC Outbar, who are still looking for their first point.

Division One leaders Bottles put in a solid performance against a spirited Fox side. The opener came courtesy of a Simon Cornish strike, which was quickly followed by a close-range James Selby finish through the 'keeper's legs. Despite their domination, they could only manage one more strike, courtesy of Dean Horsley after good play by Piers Le-Grand, who re-joined the Club after Nirankari Sports Sabha's withdrawal.

After an even start, Mark Phillips scored the opener on the stroke of half-time for Dun Cow Res. Just fifteen minutes from the end, a mistake at the back for Emperors Head let in Phillips to double the lead. He completed his hat-trick before Danny Lane and Pete Brewster got in on the act to give the scoreline a flattering look and keep them hot on the heels of the leaders.

A poor game that never really got going saw Herts Fencing score first through a quick corner that Ryan Eadie met on the volley. Broadhall pulled it level by half-time before adding three more. Ben Collins, Michael Wells, Brad Harrison and Alan Widdows netted.

In Division Two, King Pin United maintained their amazing 100 per cent start with three goals in each half. Adam Bannister got them on the way when he was unmarked to head home from James Wyatt's corner. Dave Holmes then grabbed a brace. The second came immediately after Hartham Press had a James Khakpour-Smith header chalked off for what they thought was a dubious offside. It seemed to be a turning point.

Wyatt then got in on the act when his cross-cum-shot went in at the far-post. Robbie Duckworth added another when Wyatt squared the ball after a mazy run and Nick Collins got the goal his performance deserved when he nodded home from Andy Phillips' cross. Hartham scored a consolation goal when they were awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge from Del McGivern just inside the box. Barrie Curtin netted.

Stevenage Colts Old Boys kept in touch five points back. Peter Lane and Oliver Wisker put them two up at half-time although Michael Weeks' man-of-the-match performance playing in goal for Breachwood Lions for the first time saw him pull off several great saves.

Danny Liversedge made it three to celebrate his 20th birthday two days earlier before Wayne Gardner pulled back a consolation when he curled home following a corner.

Only the third goalless draw in the entire league this season saw A1 Trophies involved for the second time against Times Club. Their best chance saw Dan Pinkerton break through the defence and beat the 'keeper, only for his shot to get stuck in a puddle on the goal line. Craig Longman then pounced on a saved shot that hit the bar, but although his header looped over the 'keeper, the latter somehow plucked the ball out of the air right on the line. Times Club almost nicked it with only five minutes remaining when a shot from Ben Morris from 20 yards hit the post.

Stevenage Fencing stayed top of Division Three thanks to their ace marksman Joe Delasalle, who hit nine goals against MC Racing. Craig Gilbert (two), Tom Bowgett (two) and Graham Kimber also netted. MC Racing replied when James Cox netted after Nik Tribe's shot was saved, Tribe also saw a penalty saved by Leeroy Litchmore.

MBDA are still hot on their heels, a point behind with a game in hand despite Rob Barton's early own goal put Roebuck Gate ahead. Top scorer Ashley Kersey bagged a brace, as did Louis Hare. Roebuck Gate pulled another back through the tricky Daniel Swales. However, Dan Barton put the game beyond doubt with a superb strike.

Carl Thompson banged in a hat-trick for Chequers, whilst Ricky Wilson and Jason Smith were also on target. SCS shared the points in a 10-goal thriller as the impressive Leslie Chappell found the net four times and Aaron Collins also converted.

Goals in the first-half from Darren Curry, Daniel Burley and a great 30-yard strike from Sam Lemoir saw a very comfortable lead for North Herts Celtic. John Reilly and Max Howard added a couple more after the break, the latter also missed a penalty as Red Lion Woolmer Green's miserable season continues.

Some slick football from Lewis Sealy set up his brother Ashley Sealy for a tap-in as Yorkshire Grey went top of the Division Four table, capitalising on the leaders' postponement. A cross from Robbie Freeman was then turned into the net by a White Lion Walkern defender to double the lead. Freeman found Lewis Sealy to score before Damian Hadlow latched on to a superbly slotted ball by Lewis Sealy to slot home. They went nap when Freeman again crossed for Hadlow to net.

Coopers were beaten for the first time as Barry Hazleton opened the scoring for Stevenage Colts Old Boys Res with a header past Dan Barrett two days before his 27th birthday. Dean Page and Daniel Lewis also netted, Scott Overy replied.

Ashley Goodson hit a hat-trick as Roebuck Wanderers continued their good spell. Steve Clibbon was also on target. Great Ashby replied through Gary Ashley and Aaron Reed.