Yvonne Caylor of Hitchin given life sentence for murdering half-sister in Letchworth while disguised as a man
- Credit: Fiona Masson Hertfordshire Constabulary
Yvonne Caylor has this morning been given a life sentence for murdering her half-sister Nicola Collingbourne in Letchworth while disguised as a man.
The 53-year-old – of Grove Road in Hitchin – must serve a minimum of 20 years after a jury was unanimous in their decision on Monday to find her guilty of murdering half-sister Nicki, who Caylor struck over the head with a chicken-shaped casserole pot on May 23 while disguising herself as a man using items bought in a Baldock fancy dress shop.
The 26-year-old was found in her Letchworth flat the following day by members of her family, and the court heard how Nicki had injuries including slashes to her wrist which Caylor had carried out while she was unconscious.
The court had previously heard how Caylor’s motive was to stop Nicki giving evidence against her after the defendant was charged with burglary at Nicki’s flat in Ivel Court, and perverting the course of justice.
Caylor had denied committing the burglary, which prosecutor John Price QC said she carried out with the aid of a locksmith the day after Nicki evicted her from the flat in October 2015.
You may also want to watch:
The case was listed for trial some time in the eight weeks starting on May 23 – the day Nicki was murdered.
Following the sentencing, Herts police have released a series of images and CCTV which was used as evidence in the trial, as well as footage from her police interview when she was shown a CCTV image of herself dressed as a man
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 6 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Asked if it was her, she replied: “‘Course it ain’t me, why would you think it’s me?”
She also described the picture as ‘surreal’.
More to follow.