Your chance to win £100 prize through Stevenage retail park’s Comet-backed community heroes initiative
- Credit: Archant
You could be in line for a £100 prize after a retail park renewed its commitment to the Comet Community Awards.
Roaring Meg in Stevenage will once again be the main sponsor for next year’s special ceremony to celebrate the heroes of our community, but will also be handing out a cheque every month in the lead up to the annual event.
Readers are encouraged to highlight the good work of those around them for the first Roaring Meg Community Heroes winner, which will be decided at the end of this month.
Subsequent prizes will then be handed out every month prior to the 2016 ceremony, due to be held in May next year.
A spokesman for the retail park, which is based just off Monkswood Way, said: “Being part of Stevenage for as long as the Roaring Meg has, we have become part of the fabric of so many peoples’ lives – serving retail and leisure needs, but also providing a social area for the community meets.
“When the opportunity was offered to us to become the main sponsor of the Comet Community Awards, it felt a natural fit and something we really wanted to do more, having sponsored the Valiant Volunteer category.
“But before the big event, through Roaring Meg Community Heroes, we can reward a person who has gone above and beyond with a cheque for £100.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage
- 9 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
“The winner could be someone who goes the extra mile in their job, an unpaid volunteer or helper.
“Going through the motions is not an option for these people and we can only hope that the monthly prize we provide goes some way to saying thank you for what they do.
“As we read the nominations each month, it is often so very difficult to choose one winner as the human spirit shining through is impossible to ignore.
“All last year’s winners were overwhelmed when we contacted them, and what better way than this to work with our community than to heap praise on those who give so much and expect so little in return.”
To nominate someone special for this month’s prize, simply email email@example.com with your nominee’s contact details and explain why they deserve the August title of Roaring Meg Community Hero.