Your chance to take steps to support Offley’s Morris men
- Credit: Archant
A group of Morris dancers celebrating their golden jubilee are appealing for new members to stop their long-running club closing.
Offley Morris Men first got together formed 50 years ago but need new blood to bolster the tans.
Square Bill Davis – the leader who usually calls the dances – explained: “This is the golden jubilee of the Offley Morris Men.
“For some time we’ve been losing dancers and musicians by ‘natural wastage’ but have been unable to recruit new members for our group.
“Our club, or ‘side’ as we call it, is viable for this season – but whether we can continue past October is doubtful.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve just enjoyed our usual packed May Day weekend, starting at the Ickwell Green maypole – followed by a hearty breakfast at the Plume of Feathers – before entertaining the good townsfolk of Hitchin, going on to Codicote Primary School, followed by further dancing and lunch at The Goat in the village. “We’re a friendly bunch and it’d be a real shame if we were to fold – so we’d ask anyone who’s interested to get in touch by calling me on 01462 624210 or Godfrey Leak on 01462 790343.”
- 1 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 2 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 3 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 4 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction